Blue

Amanda

First days of school are... different. Even more different if you've always been considered intelligent and attractive. Two things you can't really choose right? Being smarter means i take classes with seniors even though i should still be a sophomore and being attractive, means I've always attracted a lot of attention from everyone. Something i didn't necessarily enjoy. 

I came far from being the girl i was in 8th grade: shy, insecure and lonely. I learnt to embrace what life had given me and used my popularity to break the stereotype of mean girls, earning me many friends and allies in the process.

Back to first day though.

We had to choose lab-partners in the first science class of the year and since my best friend Mia already sat next to me, we teamed up. In front of us sat Benjamin and Dave. And to our left Lana and Max. All seniors, all my friends. As my teacher, Mr. Dither, started scribbling notes on the board, my mind drifted off.

My mind went back to summer when my family and i went to San Francisco to visit my great-aunt and how me and my little cousins did cartwheels on the beach. I had made gorgeous pictures that i still had to upload on my laptop and send to them. I made a mental note to get it done as soon as i got home. Suddenly Mia elbowed me.

"It's the first day for God's sake, here hold this"

She handed me a vessel filled with a clear liquid. She quickly mixed two powders together and poured them into it.

"Okay everyone i want you to turn on your burners and cautiously heat your mixture"

I waited as Mia tried to figure the thing out. She was really clumsy and not very tech- savy. I watched her flip the burner upside down, looking for a switch that wasn't there: you had to turn a small dial to turn it on. Then she remembered she had to tie her hair for safety so she scrambled in her bag looking for a hairband. I smirked. Mia was a very messy person but she didn't appreciate me always helping her so i absentmindedly rolled the vessel between the palms of my hands as i looked around at the rest of the class trying to turn on their burners. This teacher really thought a practical assignment was the best idea for the first day.

"Excellent miss Walsh"

I jumped at my name. 

Mr. Dither was smiling at me and the rest of the class turned their heads and eyes to look at me. I looked around confused. Mia's eyes flickered from the vessel to my face with a confused look. I looked down at the tube in my hands and froze. 

The liquid had turned blue. 

This was supposed to happen after you put it over the flame of the burner a few seconds which we hadn't because Mia never found the dial. That's when i felt a light burning sensation drain from my hands into my wrists.

"I... i must have a fever" I mumbled. 

Mia raised an eyebrow and i knew she didn't believe me. I had to come up with an explanation even if i didn't have one. And that was really hard considering all i could do and think about was complete panic.