Ransacked

Amanda

I wished i was dead more than anything that morning.

I opened my eyes and shut them back in agonizing pain. From what i'd seen i noticed i wasn't in my own bed. Of course not, stupid.

My head felt like they were doing some type of construction work inside of it. Why Amanda? Why? I remember running onto the field after the game because we'd won and then Dave scooping me up in his arms. I was happy because everyone was happy and so when he kissed me, i didn't think twice about kissing him back. It felt like the right thing to do in the moment.

Next thing i know i'm standing through the sunroof of an unknown car with Mia, screaming at people that were walking on the side of the road. I remember Dave kissing my neck on his couch and waving away a drink someone offered me. And then i took a cup because we were toasting on their victory and took shots along with everyone. 

And then Rory. Looking so angelic by the window earlier in the morning. I seriously thought i had died. And i seriously wish i had when i saw why he appeared so broken. He couldn't even look at me.

I heard a door open and footsteps approach the bed.

"Hey, are you awake?" He asked softly.

I put my hands over my eyes so i could squint them open a little.

"I wish i wasn't"

"I brought you some water and coffee, you can choose."

His voice was so soft and sweet and i was so confused. Why was he being so nice to me? I kept opening my eyes a little more every few seconds until i could see the mug on a nearby nightstand. I reached out for it and wrapped my hands around it. I absorbed the warmth and then let go.

"I'm in the room next door if you need me"

His voice sounded serious and distant now and he shut the door behind him. I sat up and got used to the pounding in my head as i reached for the coffee and took little sips. I didn't want to think about last night so i got up and started looking around his room. I walked over to his desk and saw a stack of drawings on paper. I scanned through them and noticed most of them were of me. My face, my expressions. The most recent one was that arrogant smile i shot him on purpose when i sold that painting to the very sad man. 

Suddenly i heard about five cars abruptly stop in front of the house. I rushed over to the window and noticed they were the same cars as the one that followed us after the fair. Rory barged in with a panicked look and grabbed my hand. We ran into the next door room which looked like some type of atelier. It was beautiful and soft and it had a square hole in the ceiling above, with a single chair under it.

"Get up, i'll help you"

I stood on the chair and pulled myself up as he softly pushed my ankles up behind me. The space was dark and musky but a comfortable sight for my eyes. I heard the front door break in downstairs and covered my mouth with my hands so i wouldn't scream. Rory stood onto the chair and kicked it back as he pulled himself through the hole. He shoved the fitting square back into place and crawled into the darkest corner of the room. I followed him and snuggled up to his shoulder. I could feel the fear radiate from him. He didn't put his arms around me but i felt him relax a little when I put my hand on his arm. We heard voices downstairs and people opening drawers and throwing things to the ground. They were looking for him. 

They were looking for us.

They were smashing things and throwing things and his muscles slowly tensed again. He was getting angry. I would too, if I could hear people downstairs slowly destroying my home. Then i heard them storm up the stairs and i almost fainted. They went into his room first and i heard them flip over the bed i had been laying on twenty minutes ago.

"In here"

They barged into the atelier and i heard the sound of ripping canvas. Rory was shaking now. Or was it me? They were walking below us, one wrong move and God knows what was going to happen to us. We both held in our breath. 

"He's not here"

The voice was deep and dripping of evil.

"Neither is the girl"

They were still throwing things to ground and smashing jars. I felt the need to cover my ears from the sound but i didn't dare to move. Instead i just closed my eyes and focused on Rory's heartbeat. It was steady and pumping adrenaline through his veins.

"We ransacked this whole place, Alpha"

I heard him salute to the others and all of them slowly exited the room and moments later the entire house was quiet. I let out my breath and Rory slapped his hand on my mouth. I wanted to pull it off and protest but then i heard one pair of footsteps, just below where we were sitting. It turned on it's heels and made one last round through the room, and then left.

I was so naive and i'd almost given us away. I fought back tears as Rory slowly removed his hand. He let out a soft sigh too and then looked down at me. I was swallowing faster now. They were onto us and they wanted something from us. 

Rory finally put his arms around me and pulled me closer.

"It's going to be okay, hush"

Here he was, telling me everything was going to be okay, while his house had just been vandalized. How was he so selfless?