The Letter

Amanda

I had a little hangover when i woke up the next day, but i had slept in very late and when i woke up i wanted to go see Rory. Lana had woken up first, heading home to pick up her gym clothing because she was a fitness junkie who apparently can't abstain from a drink in social situations. Mia was still passed out when i left so i dragged her onto my bed and threw the empty bottle of vodka in the neighbors trash on my way out.

When i got there it had to be past closing-time because Rory and i had been the only people in the gym and we played around a little with the equipment. His power wasn't breaking stuff... it was strength! He had thrown the heaviest weights in the air like they were a tennis ball. I on the other hand, had shown him my powers by lighting one of Gigi's cigarettes we found in one of the drawers in her desk. We then went for a walk and Rory smoked the whole thing up, despite me telling him not to.

I couldn't quite understand why his attitude towards me changed so much since the last time i saw him. He was much more kind, and open and i had to admit... hotter. We joked around and he showed me his bulgy muscles and i was ashamed to admit Dave's were nothing compared to his.

Dave... he would probably not like it so much if i told him i hung out with Rory so the next day at school i just stayed quiet about it. Nobody knew and nobody had to. We were all sitting outside again under our tree as Mia lay her head in my lap. She was still really embarrassed that my mom found her at six in the evening, still asleep in my bed. She had to make up this lie about staying up really late to study and i felt guilty about having my friends lying to my mom.

I lay my head on Dave's shoulder and he had his arm around me.

"So guys what'd you do yesterday on our day off? I'm sorry i couldn't hang out but i was too sore"

He was looking at Mia and me and since she didn't say anything, i had to.

"We brought alcohol over to our friend's house and got drunk and were woken up by our friend's mother because we had a hangover and couldn't wake up by ourselves" Lana chirped.

Mia moaned and everyone laughed.

"I went to the gym, and guess who i saw?"

My face turned bright red, thinking she must've driven by afterwards and seen us. She was looking right at me with a mischievous smile. I didn't react with any particular enthusiasm at her group text even though i did enthusiastically dress up and go see him. 

"Rory."

"No way, is he working out there now?" Benjamin asked.

"Nope... he works there now!"

Everyone said something except for me. Way to raise suspicion Amanda.
Dave ticked on my shoulder and i looked up at him as if i'd just snapped out of a trance.

"Wh...what? Who works where?"

"Rory works at the gym now... Keep up Amanda" Benjamin said.

"Oh, yeah i'm sorry"

I was lying to my friends again. Luckily, the bell went and the whole school swarmed back inside. Dave kissed me goodbye on the cheek and i dragged Mia with me to class.

After school, Lana dropped me off and by the dark blue Audi in the driveway it appeared that my father was home.

"Dad!"

I jumped into his arms as he came down the hall.

"Hey there sweet pea, how was school?"

"Great, but why are you home?"

I followed him into the kitchen and threw my bag on the table. He opened the fridge and gathered ingredients to make a sandwich.

"Thought i'd take a little time off... want one?"

I shook my head and grabbed my bag.

"I'd love to stay and chat but i have a lot of homework to finish so I will be in my room if you need anything."

I kissed him on the cheek and headed upstairs. On my desk was an envelope with my name on it. Weird... 

I sat on my bed and opened it.

Hello Amanda, my name is Ace and i have spent this last year tracking you down. And now that I've finally found you i can give you answers as to who you are, and why you can do what you do. Meet me at midnight in the playground in east Padmore. There are people whose lives depend on our meeting tonight. Don't bring anyone, or else.

Was this some kind of sick joke? How could anyone else know? Was this Rory? I called him up.

"Are you serious right now?"

"What do you mean?"

"The letter Rory, it's not funny"

"What letter? What are you talking about?"

"The letter Rory, the fucking letter"

I was seriously freaking out, my heart was beating in my throat and tears were starting to sting behind my eyes.

"Listen, come over and show me what you're talking about because i seriously don't know."

"No you come over, please"

"Send me your location, i'm already on my way"

He hung up and i wiped my tears. I sent him my location on Facebook and read the letter again, and again. Someone has been tracking me down and they've found me and whose lives depended on this meeting? Was it a threat? My father knocked on my door and saw me wiping my nose.

"Hey honey, what's wrong?"

I quickly stuffed the letter under my pillow as he sat down next to me and wrapped his arms around me.

"Nothing dad... a friend is coming over so can you please just go?"

He stroked my hair one last time and left. Three minutes later someone knocked on our door and i ran downstairs to open it before my father did. I let Rory in and he hugged me just as my father came down the hall towards the door. His arms wrapped comfortably around my waist and my face fitted in the crook of his neck as i wrapped my hands around his neck. It was the first time we had ever hugged and i felt a soft but warm feeling run through my body, reminding me of the letter. I let Rory go and grabbed his hand, running up the stairs as my dad shot me an amused look.

"W.. wait!"

He carefully stepped onto the first step and concentrated as he came up the next one. My father proceeded to raise just one eyebrow as Rory slowly stepped on each step.

"I'm sorry, stairs are the worst" Rory whispered as he finally stepped on the last one. We hurried to my room and i closed the door behind us. I tossed him the letter and sat down on the bed. He read it again and again as he paced around my room and rubbed his chin. He finally held up the letter.

"You know i'm coming with you, right?"