The Phonecall

Rory

I couldn't get the image of her face and her metal-covered hands out of my head. The handle was probably made out of steel or aluminium and i knew both their cooking temperatures were high. She couldn't have a fever that high because just 42 degrees Celsius was lethal.

I googled possibilities but nothing was really helpful. I was at home, trying my hardest not to break stuff as i usual did the last couple of days. I figured out how to minimize my pressure and it was kind of working I guess.

"Rory, can you come help me out!?"

My aunt called from the kitchen. I breathed in and out deeply and carefully went down the stairs. I counted every step in my head. I walked past my uncle's study and i heard him on the phone inside. The door was shut but i could hear him whispering secretively and the urge to find out what he was whispering about took over so i pressed my ear to the door. I heard it crack and jumped. Gently Rory, i reminded myself. I listened again and my uncle was still in conversation.

"Two weeks.... showing... Seventeen... dangerous... protect-"

"Roooryy!"

My heart jumped into my throat and i tiptoed away from the door towards the kitchen to help my aunt. Was he talking about me? I was going to turn seventeen in a couple of weeks....

My aunt was standing next to the fridge with her eyebrows scrunched. It looked like she couldn't open a jar. This was a perfect opportunity for me to practice applying pressure. I took the jar from her hands and felt the lid. I carefully wrapped my fingers around it and started twisting slowly and steady. It twisted open like a normal jar and i smiled proudly.

My uncle walked into the kitchen rubbing his belly, indicating that he was hungry.

"Who were you on the phone with for so long?"

My aunt asked the question i was dreading to.

"A pal from work"

I waited for his tell. He was a terrible liar. Yup, his left eyebrow slightly twitched.

"I'm in my room"

Why was he lying about who he was talking to and why were they talking about me? 

My mind was racing and i lost focus, breaking the first step of the stairs. These damn stairs. I turned around, grabbed my jacket and left. I needed to go somewhere where i could think without having to worry about breaking things. I didn't have any specific place in my mind so i just wandered around, going over the words my uncle had said in his secret conversation.

Two weeks, showing, seventeen, dangerous and protect.

I scratched seventeen, i was turning seventeen in a few months. He was definitely talking about me.

Two weeks. I tried to remember what was going to happen in the next few weeks. Did we have any plans? My birthday was in four weeks.

I walked past the church, which was packed. Religion wasn't part of my life but i admired those who devoted their lives to it. I stood there staring at the building. It was yellow and white with three cylindrical towers sticking out of the roof. The center one had a huge clock in it and the two others had two big bells. Suddenly i realized, what if instead of looking at the upcoming two weeks i should look back?

Two weeks ago... 

I broke my phone. And the front door. 

Two weeks was when i started breaking things! 

My heart rate was skyrocketing now and i started walking again. There was something about the fact that i couldn't control myself and my uncle knew about it. There was something about what was happening that he knew but wouldn't tell me.

The next word was showing. Was he going to show someone something? 'No stupid, you are showing' i said to myself. I was showing something. Breaking everything was showing.

I reached the soccer field and it was empty. I crossed the parking lot and climbed over the fence. I pushed myself off the ground easily and landed nicely on the other side. I walked towards the bleachers and carefully sat down on the fifth row.

The third word sent shivers running down my back. Dangerous. Was i dangerous? I would never hurt anyone intentionally. Was i in danger? I rubbed my eyes and decided to skip this word. The possibilities were frightening.

The last word was protect. He was talking about protecting something or someone but i couldn't hear the last part. I secretly hoped this was nothing too serious but i couldn't think about anything positive surrounding that phone-call.

I heard cars drive into the parkinglot and people with kids getting out. There was going to be a game so had to get out of there. I got up just as a big man was opening the main gate and i ran back towards the fence. As i got closer i jumped to land on the fence but instead i ended up rolling on the grass on the other side. I got up and sprinted across the parkinglot again and accidentally ran straight into a silver minivan.

In the passenger seat: Amanda.