The Game

Amanda

When Rory finally dropped me off at home, i was still full of adrenaline. I was pretty scared and i had so many questions. I hoped no one was home when i loudly barged in through the front door. I locked it behind me and when i turned around i was surprised by a man with a bat. I immediately felt the ball of energy in my core but it cooled down and disappeared when my mind registered that it wasn't one of the men that were chasing us at the fair, but it was just my father. I must've looked really paranoid because he dropped the bat and scooped me into his arms.

"Hey, calm down it's okay"

No it was not okay. Those men somehow knew that Rory and I were both at the fair even though it was planned last minute. They were there looking for us and they didn't look like just anyone or normal police or something. 

They looked dangerous.  

I pulled away from my father's embrace and went upstairs before he could start asking questions. I really needed a shower to clear my head so i got in the bathroom and moments later i felt the cool water run down my heated body.

Rory told me when we were driving to the fair that a car similar to the one that followed us had driven by his house the other day. That means they know who he is, what he is and most importantly, where he lives. Me on the other hand... The only time I ever heard about them was when Mia had told me about that one day that i wasn't at school. So maybe they didn't even know who i was and they were just after Rory. Well up until today when I helped their target escape. I might have just accidentally gotten myself involved in what could be dangerous business.

When i got into my room my phone just stopped ringing and it turned out to be the third missed call from Mia, aside one from Dave. Why would Dave call me? I'd totally neglected him these last few days. I was just about to swipe to call Mia back, when she called me.

"Girl where are you?!"

There were loud sounds in the background that i couldn't quite make out.

"What do you mean? Where are you?"

I heard her tell someone on the other end that 'i forgot'. Forgot what? i heard a crowd cheer and then i remembered.

The game.

"You know what? Never mind Amanda. I hope you had fun with Rory today"

Shit. Her voice was full of something between envy and pain and it hurt me to hear her speak to me like that.

"Mia i'm so sorry, i'm on my way right now i prom-"

She hung up. I threw on the first jeans i found and a black hoodie. I was afraid to go out but i could not lose my friends over something so stupid like missing a game. I put on my dark grey Nikes and sprinted down the stairs.

"Mom?"

I found her in the living room with dad and the little ones, watching their favorite movie Aladdin. I wished i could join them and snuggle up to my family but if i don't go right now, i could probably never make this right again. My mother looked up at me surprised. 

"Where are you going?"

"I totally forgot that the football finals were tonight and i promised Mia and the others i was coming so i really need to borrow your car."

I put my hands together pleadingly and she sighed.

"I don't want you out so late, you're constantly running in and out of the house these last few days and you barely spend time with your family lately"

A sour feeling filled my stomach. My father was right. 

"I'm really sorry dad, I'll make it up to you guys i promise!"

I grabbed the keys and slowly walked to the door. The last thing i heard before i stepped through the door was Aladdin's voice:

"Tell me princess, when was the last time you let you heart decide?"

These damn Disney movies. My heart was torn. Tomorrow was Thursday and the day after that i was leaving for... i couldn't say how long. I just knew that I couldn't just up and leave on bad terms with anyone. I needed something to come back to.

I started up the car and sped towards the school, looking around ever so often to see if i wasn't being followed. I parked on the lawn in front of the school, which was actually not allowed and hurried to the stadium. I could hear cheering from inside the school and i figured the team was already playing for a while and hopefully winning. I finally got to the stairs leading up to the bleachers and called Mia. Straight to voicemail. Even if she was choosing to ignore my calls, she couldn't not receive my text.

I'm here. Where r u?

I looked around and i was bewildered by all the sound and movement. I was standing at the top of the stairs, where we'd come through that one night. I looked at my phone and she saw that she had read my message.

Please

One last desperate call never hurt anyone. She read the message and after a while a 'typing' sign appeared under her name. I was relieved she wasn't ignoring me but afraid of what she was going to say.

Left.

I jerked my head to the left and searched the crowd. Then i recognized their faces. I heard footstep behind me and realized two men with heavy footsteps were running up the stairs behind me. I made a run for it to my left, into the crowd on the bleachers, towards my friends. I stepped on people's feet and food but i had to get to the safety of my friends. When i finally fell into Mia's arms all the tension that had built up in me since Rory and I had been followed the day before just flowed out of me in tears. I really hadn't talked to anyone about what had happened. 

"Hey hey what's wrong? I'm sorry" She tried to whisper over the loud cheering.

She pushed me a little away from at arms length and kept her hands on my shoulder. I shook my head and wiped my face with my sleeves. There weren't any open seats left around us so i just nestled between Mia and Max who was very invested in the game. I sat with my back turned to where i'd run away from the men in the suits, hoping they wouldn't see me. 

They were definitely after me too.