First Kiss

Amanda

I ran to the bathroom to wash off my hands when my phone rang. It was Mia. I pressed answer and speaker with my elbow.

"Hey where'd you run off to? Are you okay?"

"Yeah, i followed Rory and took a quick... bathroom-stop"

I heard her giggle on the other side. Now i was the one rolling my eyes.

"Should i come meet you or can you find your way back?"

"I'll find my way"

"Kay kay"

She hung up. I sighed and looked at myself in the mirror. My hair was a disaster and strands clung to my neck from the sweat. I grabbed a paper towel and dried my hands and neck. 

Two light hazel eyes stared into mine. What had i become? Washing melted metal off my hands in the school bathroom in the middle of the night...

I made my way through the cold, dark and empty maze of hallways till i was in the locker room again. I studied the dent in the door for a while. In the center i could make out the exact outlines of a hand. Rory's hand. I wanted to place mine in it so badly but i was afraid i was going to melt it. I closed my eyes and relaxed. Breathing in deeply as i remembered the exercises i used to control the heat. I slowly put my hand on the metal. His hand was just a lot bigger than mine. I closed my eyes and imagined his skin on mine. Would it be rough or soft and gentle? He looked like a bad boy so maybe it was rough from motorcycles and cigarettes.

"Holy shit man look at this!"

That was Max' voice coming from the other side of the door, towards it.

"What the hell man?"

I had to do something to distract them. I pushed the door open and stepped in front of them with a big smile.

"Hey guys what's up?"

"What's up? Don't you see that big fucking dent in the door?"

"Yeah so? You want to take it to prom?" I shot at Max.

Benjamin laughed but Max looked pretty mad.

"C'mon Maxy i'm sorry. Let's go"

I pulled them both away from the door. When did i get so confident? Benjamin was still chuckling about my joke which i must admit, i found pretty funny myself. Max was forcing a serious face.

"I know a guy who makes red tux' you know? So you can match"

Benjamin burst into laughing and Max reached over my head to smack Benjamin's. When he reached over me to hit Max back, they started fake wrestling. I let out a sigh of relief and wiggled my way from between them. I didn't know what Rory was but i had a feeling i had to protect him. 

Then i realized i'd been asking myself the same question.

What was i?

Could it be that he also had some type of skills? I had to talk to him to find out. If i was wrong i needed a clever way to cover it up so he wouldn't suspect me of anything. Nobody could find out. I'd lose my friends, my family and God knows what else.

"Amanda are you okay?"

We had reached the middle of the field where the rest sat. Dave grabbed my hand and stared up at me, worried.

"Yeah i'm fine"

I sat down and grabbed a beer. I was going to need something to take my mind off of everything. And by everything meant Rory. I didn't want to be the baby who wanted to go home early and definitely not the pest who'd ruin the party because then everyone would want to leave. I just needed to get out of my mind. After three beers i was giggling uncontrollably and Rory was hiding in a corner of my mind.

Was this tipsy or drunk? I'd never been either before. I knew that i was being irresponsible but i couldn't care. I laid back on the grass and stared at the stars.

"Here try this"

Dave passed me a something i recognized as a blunt.

"Uhm.. i have never done that before"

He laid back down next to me, looking at me. I turned my head towards his and he moved the blunt to his lips.

"There's a first time for everything"

He blew out the smoke towards the sky and then put the blunt to my lips. I inhaled and waited for the explosive coughs that were supposed to follow. But nothing i happened. Dave smiled and leaned in.

"I really like you Amanda Walsh"

His breath stunk and i had to giggle. I took the blunt from his hand and took another blow. I blew the smoke in his face and suddenly his lips were on mine. My first kiss. With Dave. Drunk, maybe tipsy, getting high and on a soccerfield.

I heard the others clap and Dave rolled half onto me, trying to ignore them.

"You're a beast Davey!"

"Look at you eating her pretty face"

I burst into laughter and Dave rolled off and sighed annoyed. I sat up and tossed the blunt to Max.

"Shut up, loner"