Mani's

Amanda

It was Friday and we sat outside the school under a tree, just chilling and waiting for the next period.
I was lost in my own thoughts when I started picking up pieces of the story Benjamin was telling.

"He broke his phone and his front door last night. I think he's having a lot of trouble with his uncle and he doesn't know how to control his anger, I wish he'd just talk to me."

"I mean I bet i'm his only friend and he usually tells me when he gets into fights with his uncle and stuff but he just shut me out this time."

Everyone was nodding along and no one really knew what to say. Then Dave looked at me.

"What do you think Amanda?"

I was startled. I didn't even know who they were talking about.

"Uhm... I guess yeah... you could just approach him and tell him you're worried or something?"

Dave smiled.

"That's a very wise answer from a very wise lady, ladies and gentlemen."

Was he flirting with me? The rest of them agreed with me, and with Dave I suppose. The bell rang and we got up, heading our own ways.

"Bye Amanda"

"Bye Dave"

He was definitely being extra nice to me but I didn't know why. Mia linked her arm in mine and pulled me towards our next class.

"Please tell me you're going for it?"

"Wh.. what? For Dave?"

She rolled her eyes.

"Of course for Dave. He's totally crushing on a sophomore. That never happens"

"I am technically a senior and i don't even know if i like him back"

She rolled her eyes again. I was starting to hate that.

"He's a senior, on the football team and i don't know if you've ever seen him but he is smoking hot."

"Sounds like you should go for it" 

In the meanwhile we had gotten to the classroom and I sat down, looking out the window so I wouldn't see her rolling her eyes yet again.

It had been 20 minutes into class and i was bored out of my mind so I started looking around. Mia was texting, a few other people were sleeping and the old lady was still talking. I knew it was a bad idea and bad timing but i decided anyway to use the free time to train my skills. I stretched out my fingers and studied my hands. I focused hard on the tips of my fingers and soon they were tingling. I touched the corner of my notebook and it shriveled.

"What are you doing?"

I jumped. Again. Mia was staring at my notebook and frowning. How was I going to explain this one?

"Uhm... I was just... I just... noticed that this corner is burned and I was just wondering how it happened"

She raised an eyebrow but a vibrating sound pulled her attention back to her phone. I had to stop myself from sighing too loud. I definitely shouldn't be training my skills in public. It was too dangerous and i was smarter than that.

After school Mia and I walked towards Lana's car.

"Hey girls, wanna hit the mall? we could get our nails done"

"Yeah sure i'm in, Amanda?"

Mani's? I couldn't have other people touching my hands when they barely even felt like my hands! The random heating up of my hands was starting to become really inconvenient. And I hated having to lie to my friends.

"Got to babysit the little ones, really sucks but I promise i'll make it up"

"No prob, i'll drop you off"

We sang along to the radio until we pulled up to my house.

"Okay, bye guys... don't have too much fun without me"

I gave them the cheesiest wink ever.

"We'll try"

Mia stuck her tongue out and I laughed. I waved them goodbye as I opened my door. I got inside and sunk to the floor with my back against it. I had to do something or sooner or later because I couldn't just lie to everyone forever. I had to find out what this was and why it was happening so I could find a way to stop it. I felt my thighs getting warm and realized it was my hands heating up again and grunted.