Spark

Rory

When i woke up and saw the landline phone next to my pillow, i was sure last night wasn't a dream. Amanda called me! It had been around 3am and she sounded a little drunk, but still. I had been on her mind. I could only hope she remembered our conversation too.

I got up early, took a shower and headed to the gym. It was my first day. When i got there Gigi, the hot blonde secretary, was just opening up. She was bent over, unlocking the lower locks on the door and shit, she was really hot. Before i could look away, she caught me staring at her and gave me a sharp glare. She really didn't want to be messed with. 

The gym filled up quickly. There were a lot of students since they had the day off and i was hoping Amanda would also consider the possibility of going to the gym on a holiday. I stood by the counter with my back to the entrance, studying the place. It was actually a big room with mirrors on all the walls except the one that held the entrance. In the one across from the entrance was another door leading into a hallway where the bathrooms and some extra equipment were. I took a big gulp of my Gatorade and almost choked when i saw Lana's reflection walk in.. alone. She wore big sunglasses, pink gym clothing and her hair was a mess. 

I had planned on approaching Lana as a way to get to Amanda but i couldn't wait any longer so i just messaged her on Facebook last night. That worked out great right? Lana walked past me, smelling like alcohol, and didn't even notice me. Who even goes to the gym when they're hungover? I shook my head and was approached by a woman: her treadmill stopped working.

After most people had left around dinner time, i started picking up the weights and placing them back on their rack. They didn't even feel heavy. I could throw every one of them high in the air and catch them back but i didn't. No one needed to know about my abilities. The weight rack was next to the door to the hallway and Lana came through it.

"Oh hey Rory! What are you doing here?"

She seemed more cheerful and i figured she either got more drunk or her hangover was wearing off.

"Hey Lana, I work here now"

"Noo waayy"

I nodded and she waddled on. Usually i would have to report strange behavior, but i didn't want to have Lana tell Amanda i banned her from the gym. Suddenly a thought struck me.

Amanda has sounded pretty drunk last night when she called but what if she had remembered and she went to my house? But wasn't she dating Dave? A lot of thoughts flashed through my mind but i chose to ignore them and shove them to the back of my mind.

I stuffed my hands in pockets of my black training shorts and walked over to the desk. Gigi wasn't there anymore. I hadn't seen her walk past me towards the bathroom either. I made my way around the entrance towards the office and heard voices coming from inside.

"Oh yeah? You like that?"

Shit. That was Gigi's voice! I backed away from the door as i panicked. I hoped it wasn't real but it was really sounding like Carlos was having an affair! It broke my heart to think that a man would throw away his beautiful family like that and it pissed me off. I controlled myself enough to not smash anything and to calm back down and i stepped outside for fresh air. In the distance i saw a light blue jacket and long brown hair blow in the wind. 

My breath caught in my throat: It was Amanda.

I sneaked her past the office and took her inside since it had already been closing time. She sat with her legs crossed on one of the weightlifting benches and i sat on the ground, looking at how beautiful she was. I didn't say anything but she just giggled and turned red, over and over, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear over and over. She was wearing white high-waisted shorts and a flowered crop top. The light blue jacket was the same color as the flowers on her sandals. Lana had apparently told her that I worked at the gym now and she decided to pay me a visit. 

"You're making this really awkward! Stop staring at me like that"

"Gosh you're beautiful"

She covered her face as she turned red again.

"How's Dave?"

Her smile slowly faded and her hands dropped into her lap and she looked at me like she didn't understand the question.

"You guys together?"

She tucked the same strand behind her ear again even though it clearly didn't want to be there and shook her head, looking down. She was so shy.

I got up and grabbed her hand pulling her up towards the rack of weights.

"Pick the heaviest you can lift"

She tried a few and finally picked one up. I grabbed it with one hand and softly threw it up in the air, catching it with my other hand. She smiled at me and snapped her fingers, creating a spark. A comical metaphor for what was happening between us.