I'm Four

Rory

Amanda was really pissing me off. Only after i'd convinced her to go home to get proper clothes, did she agree to. Goodbyes were hard but imagine not even getting the chance to. Maybe she had a home to come back to, but i didn't. Nothing was ever going to be the same again. Men hunted us to kill us or whatever and Ace had hunted us down to save others.

I heard her sigh of relief when we reached her house and noticed they hadn't ransacked it. Yet. We went inside and locked the door behind us even though we knew it wouldn't be enough to hold them back.

We ran upstairs and heard her mother call after us.

"Amanda Daniëlle have you lost your mind?!"

I went into her room and she closed the door behind me, staying in the hallway herself.

"Mom, right now is really not a good time"

"Your father told you not be out late and you walk in here the next day like we haven't been losing our minds!"

"Mom i'm okay, i just need a minute"

"Your face is all scratched up and your wearing nothing but a shirt! Where the hell did you come from!?"

"Mom can you please calm down, i'll explain everything!"

"Fine Amanda, this better be good"

"I went to the game yesterday and then there was a party at Dave's"

"Is that who you're hiding in your room right now?"

Amanda stayed quiet and i was afraid her mother was going to barge in and attack me.

"No mom, that's Rory"

Her voice was calm now.

"And why is he here?"

I almost didn't hear her...

"They just destroyed his home and shot his uncle"

"OhmyGod"

I sunk onto her bed and put my hands over my ears. I didn't want to hear anyone say it. That only made it more true. The door opened and i didn't look up.

"Rory?"

It was Amanda. I looked up at her and tried to smile. I had to be strong.

"My mother made sandwiches downstairs, i'm sure you're starving and i need to change"

I nodded and got up. I really hoped her mother didn't want to talk to me about anything. Her little brother and sister looked up at me with big green eyes and wide smiles as i entered the kitchen. Her mother put down a plate in front of me and smiled softly at me. I thanked her and fought myself to bite into the delicious turkey sandwich. Did I have to warn them about what might be coming?

Moments later her father came through the front door, looking stressed and a little angry.

"Frank, honey she's upstairs"

His eyes shot over at me and then at his wife.

"This is Rory, a friend"

I stood up to give him a hand and he took it firmly.

"You've already been in my house... why is it that we only formally meet now?"

He was referring to that night i stayed over. I cleared my throat, looking for an answer.

"Frank not now please,"

He nodded and let my hand go. I rubbed it as he stomped upstairs. Amanda's mother put her hand on my shoulder, sitting me back down again.

"Is your name Rory?"

It was the little boy. I nodded and smiled. I didn't have a lot of experience with little kids.

"You're the boy that ran into mommy's car"

The little girl was pointing at me excitedly now. My face was burning up with heat.

"Diana, did you finish your plate?"

She shook her head and grabbed another little square of her bread. I had finished but i just stared down at my empty plate now. I felt completely estranged and different from how i'd waken up the same morning.

"I'm David!"

They just refused to leave me alone.

"Hi David"

"How old are you?"

"Sixteen" 

My birthday was the day after tomorrow.

"My sister too! I'm four"

He raised his left hand with a big grin.

"Wow, you're big"

"I am too!"

The little girl joined in.

"No, you're my sister Didi!"

I laughed at his smart mouth. They carried their discussion on and Amanda came downstairs with her father on her heels. She was wearing a legging and a shirt and was carrying a small gym bag.

"Dad can you just sit down? Mom you too"

They looked at each other confused and took place at the table. I stood up and leaned against the door frame next to Amanda. This was not going to be nice.

"We're leaving town for a while. I'm hoping a week or so."

She had such courage just announcing it like she was the boss around the house. That quickly changed when her father balled his fists and angrily pushed his chair behind as he stood up.

"Amanda have you lost your mind?"

"David, Diana i love you and make lots of planes for me okay?" 

She just carried on and i was afraid things were going to get ugly. I could already hear her fighting back her tears.

"You're not going anywhere!"

"Mom, Dad, i love you guys and i promise to call. I'm so sorry i have to leave like this."

She quickly turned around, pushing me into the hallway and through the front door.

"Amanda!"

Her parents called after her but we were running through the street, away from our lives. I looked back at her and tears were streaming down her face. We both knew we weren't coming back for a while. Maybe ever.