The Job

Rory

The past few weeks had been quiet. No trouble with my abilities and i felt as if i'd finally gotten them under control. I never heard my uncle on the phone again and it was kind of relieving: whatever was wrong at that time probably wasn't wrong anymore. I hadn't hung out with Benjamin's crew anymore and i hadn't seen her in a while. She and Dave were probably together and that would make him even more territorial. If i went to their school i could probably get any girl i want... especially with these abs that suddenly appeared on me. I felt stronger and healthier everyday and i wasn't really doing anything.

I was finishing off details from my last painting. It was a woman with red hair floating in water. The way the light broke through the surface and shone on her naked body was mesmerizing. Just like i wanted it to be.

I was bringing five of my paintings to this huge market-fair-thing they were holding in town. I figured i could get some extra cash to add to my savings. I was trying to save up for a new phone. I didn't want the latest or the newest. In fact if I could get my old one fixed it would be even better.

The doorbell rang and since i was alone at home, i jumped from the top of the stairs to the bottom, easily. It was Benjamin again. He came over to visit me a lot lately and today, he brought gummy bears for me. We sat down in the living room, talking about life and it's challenges. He was in the midst of a sentence when i interrupted him.

"Hey how's Amanda?"

I had been dreading to ask this question for a while now but never got the courage. He stared at me like i had just asked him how his great-grandmother was. My interest in her had never died and maybe that's why Dave had been a total ass to me even if hadn't done anything. And even though I hadn't seen her in a while, not being around her and wondering how she was doing had made me grown to like her more and more. I wouldn't have to worry about fighting Dave with these muscles.

"She's doing great. Top of the class again."

I nodded and chewed.. concentrating on my next question.

"Are she and Dave... together?"

"Well they've been going out some time now, it looks kind of serious i guess"

My heart broke a little and i wanted to punch myself for asking that.

"I think he's going to ask her to prom"

Prom. Another memory i was going to miss out on. Unless i had a date to theirs! I figured if Amanda was already going with Dave, i could ask one of her friends and still be close to her. Benjamin read my mind before i even said anything.

"I'm sorry i don't mean to shut you out but it's already a triple date if Dave asks her."

Not if i asked her first. But I couldn't ask her to go to her own prom with me... i sighed in frustration. Benjamin could've offered to hook me up with someone else but he didn't. He probably didn't want me there.

"Why the sudden interest in Amanda and her business?"

"I just haven't seen her in a while and i was wondering how she was doing."

He nodded and stood up.

"Well i'm going to take off."

He was probably off to his job at a local tailor. I envied him a little. I had looked around for jobs but they'd rather take more experienced and older people.

"Let yourself out"

He turned around and left. What if i got a job at the local gym? I looked fit. I didn't actually know anything about exercise but i recall having seen Lana walk out of there. She was another window to Amanda.

I changed into comfortable clothes and sneakers and jogged to the gym. It was a sunny day but the temperatures were still low. The gym was across the street from the travel agency where my aunt worked, that's how i saw Lana in the first place. The gym was nice and warm. I took off my jacket to accent my biceps and chest and asked the pretty hot blonde at the desk to speak to the manager. She stood up and walked towards a door nearby. If i didn't get Amanda, or the job, i'd definitely come back for her. After a while a forty-year old man with some stubble appeared from a door to my left.

"Hey there! come in. Call me Jackson. "

I entered the little cozy office and sat down. He had a picture on his desk of his wife and two sons, smiling at the beach. That was my endgame: a family of my own.

"So, what can i do for you?"

He sat down and put his elbows on the side of the chair, folding his hands together.

"Well, i was wondering if i could get a job here"

He smiled and flashed a row of perfect white teeth.

"Okay son, what kind of job are you looking for?"

"I thought maybe a personal trainer or i could give classes or something"

He laughed and shook his head. I knew i wasn't good enough for this place either.

"How old are you?"

"Almost seventeen"

He rubbed his stubbly chin and studied my guns. He nudged his head towards them.

"Pretty impressive for a sixteen-year old"

"Thanks"

I was ready to get out of there but there was still a spark of interest in his eyes.

"How about you just start off by assisting in classes, show people how to use the equipment and i'll add a hundred dollars if you help clean up after hours"

I thought about and rubbed my own chin.

"How much total?"

"350$ a week, you work four days"

That was a lot. I could buy a new phone in no time. I stuck my hand out to accept the deal and he grabbed it and shook it with a big grin. He passed me a form to fill out.

"When can i start?"

"Tomorrow"

I was one step closer to Amanda.