Trust

Amanda

My schedule was the most boring on Wednesday and everyone was already walking around unmotivated since they'd only made it halfway through the week and the weekend was still three days away. I didn't have first period with my friends and i usually felt pretty lonely. As soon as i sat down and the teacher turned the lights down for her PowerPoint presentation, i put my head on my arms on the table and fell into a deep sleep almost as soon as she started talking.

I was running over a field really fast and felt my face cut through the wind. Everything around me was just a moving blur. But someone was holding my hand. I looked at my hand and followed it up to Rory. He was struggling to keep up but still had a huge smile on his face.

I was woken up by Carolyn, a girl with straight red hair and big brown eyes. My eyes had to adjust again to the change of scenery but she was smiling at me. It was a pitiful smile.

"Rough night?"

I nodded and gathered my things as i stood up. The rest of the class had already left. Even the teacher. I thanked Carolyn and hurried to my next class which i had with Lana. I slipped into class right as the bell rung and sat down, still panting. English lit was actually interesting so i excitedly took notes for myself, and Lana who was apparently planning a party or something. I looked around and noticed Dave had either skipped class or he wasn't at school. The former seemed reasonable and i kicked the thought of him out of my head.

The day went by slowly until my phone buzzed in my last class for the day.

R you still in school? I'm going to sell some paintings down at the fair in an hour. Come with me?

Mia shrieked after she read the message over my shoulder and grabbed my phone.

"You guys are still talking?!"

Her eyes twinkled and that meant she was excited. Overexcited.

"Yes Mia, just talking"

I reached out to grab the phone but she turned her back to me.

"Mia give it back" I whined.

"What happened Friday night huh?"

Now half of the class was staring at us, including Dave, who was at school but had indeed just skipped class earlier.

"Mia this is really not cool"

I stoop up and yanked the phone out of her hands. When i was pissed, i had the tendency to heat up so i walked over to the front and asked the teacher to go to the bathroom. On my way, i scrolled down to see how much of the conversation Mia had read. Luckily, the damage wasn't too bad. I shoved my phone in my back pocket and washed my hands as i thought about what questions she was going to ask and how i was going to dodge them. Speaking of the devil, she stormed into the bathroom. I was lucky the bathroom was empty because this was going to be a scene.

"Why are you meeting up with him in secret? I thought we told each other everything!"

"We're not going out Mia, you know i'd tell you if it was so"

"Then what did you guys do on Friday night?"

Shit. This was going to be another lie.

"He came over to help me with a math problem"

Weak Amanda, weak. I heard the words as i said them.

"Amanda please stop lying to me. Don't you trust me anymore?"

She was pleading now and i sighed. This was a lost battle.

"I got a semi-threatening letter to meet someone at midnight and he tagged along to protect me."

"What?!"

I stared at her quietly and she just stood there with her mouth open.

"When were you going to tell me?"

"I wasn't supposed to tell anyone and that's why you're also going to keep quiet"

"But you told him"

She said it with such venom i got a feeling this wasn't going to end well.

"The letter.... kind of involved him too"

The final bell rang and we just stood there unmoved.

"Dave is heartbroken and he deserves the truth." She said softly. 

"I know Mia, but not yet. I promise i'll clear it up with him"

People started entering the bathroom and i hugged her.

"I'm just glad you're okay" she mumbled into my hair.

We head back to class, grabbed our stuff and followed Lana to her car. Mia called shotgun and i buckled up in the back.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this a drama-free vehicle. All passenger must be at peace"

Mia and i laughed as a confirmation that we were. It felt good to have a piece of the truth out. We pulled out of the parking lot and I checked my phone only to realize i hadn't answered Rory back.

Yes! So sorry i'm texting back just now but i'm omw home. Still on?

Mia fiddled with the radio till she found Renegades by X Ambassador and we all bobbed our heads along to the bass and in no time we were all laughing and trying to fix back our hairs.

As we pulled into my street i got a message back from Rory.

Kind of already was omw, so i'm in front of your house

And that turned out to be true as i spotted his uncle's blue truck in front of my house. We pulled up behind it and Lana couldn't hold it in.

"Who's this?"

She looked at me from the rear-view mirror as i unbuckled and opened the door.

"It's Rory"

I quickly shut the door behind me so i wouldn't hear or see her reaction. I practically ran towards the truck, threw my backpack inside and slipped into the passenger seat.

"Sorry i'm late"

He smiled at me as he started the truck up.

"Glad you made it."

Just then Lana pulled up next to us and rolled down Mia's window.

"Hi there ladies" Rory said friendly.

They didn't say anything back and i remembered my conversation with Mia in the bathroom. I leaned over Rory to get to the window.

"We're going to the fair, i'll call you later"

Rory waved them goodbye and we pulled off. Why were they acting so weird?