Like A Teenager

Amanda

Rory had just left and i'd gone downstairs to get my father's famous breakfast. On very rare occasions that he was home on the weekends, he would make the best scrambled eggs ever and i was just about to dig in when the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it!"

My mother got up and a few seconds later I heard her call my name. I was hoping Rory didn't come back because he'd forgotten anything and when i turned into the hall I let out a sigh of relief when i saw that it was just Dave. Little did I know, that was actually worse.

My mother shot me weird smile and walked past me, heading back to the kitchen. I turned to Dave and crossed my arms.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him curiously. 

"What was Rory doing here?"

He saw him. All i could see in his eyes was hurt, jealousy and rage. He stepped inside and i took a step back.

"Dave can we do this some other time?" I tried softly. I didn't want my parents to hear us.

"Did you sleep with him Amanda?" He said a little too loud.

I knew my parents definitely heard that one and cursed under my breath.

"No Dave! Just leave!"

"Are you going to give me his clothes and make me walk home too?"

He was being really ridiculous and i heard someone move their chair across the kitchen floor. I put my hands on his chest and started shoving him back towards the door but he wouldn't budge.

"Shut up! Just go!" 

My father walked into the hallway.

"Hi there...." my father said, waiting for Dave to finish his sentence... 

He stuck his hand out towards Dave and he reached around me and took it.

"Dave" 

"Yes Dave. Listen son, i'm trying to have a relaxing breakfast with my family and you're kind of interrupting it."

Dave nodded respectfully and then looked down at me. I could see in his eyes that this wasn't over. I opened the door, letting him out. I closed the door and leaned my forehead against it. My father side-eyed me and i knew he had heard most of our conversation.

"We'll talk about this later"

He put his arm around my shoulders and we walked back to the kitchen. My mother was eating with her eyebrows raised, meaning that she had heard some of it too. I really was in trouble.

After breakfast a friend of my mother's picked up David and Diana for a play date, conveniently leaving me alone at home with my parents. They had definitely set this up. I tried to sneak away to my room but my father caught me and the three of us ended up in the living room. 

My father spoke first.

"What happened this morning, i don't want that to ever happening again. I don't care if it's about boys or girls or dogs, but nobody comes into my house and raises his voice towards my daughter"

I nodded and turned my gaze towards my mother. From experience I knew that she was next. She sat in the chair Mia had sat in a couple of days ago and this time the sun took it's chance on her. Her blonde hair turned a golden yellow this time. She had her elbow on the side of the chair and her chin rested on her hand. Her legs were folded under her and you'd almost think she was listening to an interesting story. But her eyes were squinting.

"Who is Rory?"

This was going to be a long one. I knew my mother worked hard on building a relationship with me that was built off of trust and i knew it hurt her when i didn't trust her enough to talk about things like boys. But how was i going to explain my connection to Rory to her? I was lying either way.

"He's a friend"

Her accusing glance didn't change and i knew she wanted more.

"He's a friend of Benjamin's and we met one night we all hung out together"

She nodded, indicating that she was more satisfied.

"Listen mom, i'm sorry about Dave. I'll talk to him and i promise it won't ever happen again"

My parents were never strict and i knew whatever they wanted to address, didn't have much to do with the fact that Dave had barged in that morning.

"Did Rory stay over last night?" 

There it was. She must've thought i'd sneaked him in to have sex or something.

"Mom it's no-"

"Answer your mother Amanda"

I sighed and put my hands on my lap.

"Yes, but we didn't have sex!"

My mother shook her head and got up. My father tried to grab her hand but she just stormed out of the living room. I got up and ran after her.

"Mom i promise nothing happened!"

This was like trying to convince my best friend i didn't make out with her boyfriend. She walked into their bedroom and shut the door. It was like she was the teenager. I tried one last time.

"Mom, you know i wouldn't do that to you" I yelled up the stairs.

It stayed quiet.

The silence was interrupted by my phone ringing. I'd left it in the kitchen and when i turned the corner to get it, my father stood with it in his hand with his arms crossed, showing me the caller ID. It was Rory.

I grabbed the phone and ran upstairs.

"Nice timing, Rory" I sighed into the phone.

"Hi, Amanda"

He sounded confused and I rolled my eyes as i laid back on my bed.

"How's your nose?"

"It's not broken... but i couldn't explain to my uncle what happened because i didn't know."

We both stayed quiet for a while.

"What happened last night Amanda...?"