3: Almost Doesn't Count

Chapter 3: Almost Doesn't CountApril

April

Gonna find me somebody not afraid to let go
Want a no doubt, be there kind of man - you came real close
But every time you built me up, you only let me down
But everybody knows (Everybody knows), almost doesn't count
[Almost Doesn't Count: By Brandy]

April rushed off with the quickness as her nose stung and tears flooded her eyes threatening to fall. She refused to cry in front of Dave again. He had seen way too many tears come from her and had been the cause of them. She had been a crying mess these past few weeks and with Dave being home it didn't make the situation any better. He had her all in her feelings. She felt like a teenager breaking up with her first love and this shit just hit ten times worse. She felt like her whole world was falling apart. She was hurt, beyond sad, pissed, angry, and disappointed. She felt betrayed and the fact that Dave wasn't willing to fight for her, what they had, and their family killed her on the inside especially when he made it seem like what they had was worth fighting for. When they had gotten back together he had told her that there was no way out of their relationship. It was always in and never out and now when it was time to fight he took the first chance he could and took flight. April felt like she had set herself up for failure just by getting back with Dave in the first place because she felt like all of this could've been easily avoided. Her heart could've been protected and she could've kept her feelings in check. She felt like she should've let him be the first time they broke up because deep down she knew Millie would never go anywhere but she had so much faith in Dave and thought that they could possibly be something and now they were nothing.

If she had left him alone then they wouldn't have gotten this far and she wouldn't have been so invested in him when he clearly wasn't invested in her. She felt like he had purposely strung her along knowing damn well he still had some unfinished business to handle with Millie. It felt like he had wrapped her around his finger and sucked her in just hoping she would do the same shit that she had done with Chris which was ignore shit, let shit slide, and stick by his side knowing damn well he wasn't shit. It was like being with Chris all over again well the build her up to break her all the way back down part anyway. With Dave it felt so much worse. It hit different. It hit hard, and it hit in a way that she never wanted to feel again. Dave had really fucked her up, fucked her over, and had her fucked up.

April was just glad that they hadn't actually made it down the aisle with all the extra bullshit going on. But still not walking down the aisle to meet her person hurt because here they were four and a half months away from their big day and they wouldn't be walking down the aisle period and at the moment she felt like they never would. She felt like she should've said no to both of his proposals. She wondered if everything happened way too fast. They were raising their kids together, moving in together, bought a mansion, and planning a wedding. It just all happened too fast. Maybe they should've taken their time learning more about each other. Yet April knew who and what she wanted and it was a future with Dave. Yet they couldn't be any more different because it seemed like Dave didn't really want any of that with her. He played a hell of a good game and in the end like usual the home team lost. April lost once again.