16: Sweetest Devotion

Chapter 16: Sweetest Devotion April

April

I wasn't ready then, I'm ready now I'm heading straight for you You will only be eternally The one that I belong to 
The sweetest devotion Hitting me like an explosion All of my life, I've been frozen The sweetest devotion I've known
[Sweetest Devotion: By Adele]

Days had passed and Thanksgiving dinner was in full swing and everybody who needed to be there was there. They had a packed house. There was April's side of the family including Hazel plus Mimi who had come along with Shooter. Dave's people were there as well including Tesha who had come along to be with Errol. Chris along with Royalty and Mama Joyce were also in attendance. It was a full on family affair. Of course it was a full on feast with all of the women throwing it down in the kitchen. Prayers were already said, thanks had been given, dinner was already served, and dessert had been eaten and still being eaten. The TV's were set on different football games as music flowed throughout the basement and the first floor along with mixed drinks for the women while the men were sipping on beers and top shelf liquor. The vibe was calm and relaxing even with Hazel being there and that's partly because April had spoken to the crew and their family members beforehand letting them know what was going on. She didn't want anyone to feel slighted or caught off guard.

Respectfully everyone was still feeling Hazel out but she was cooling and not doing too much of overstepping. For April it was sort of a bittersweet moment because Hazel was a perfect fit for the crew. If she hadn't fucked up she would've fit right on in. Then again she clicked because she was once part of the crew. She was an original member. She hoped that one day they would get to a point where her being around the crew would be a normal thing. Although she was going to leave that part to the man upstairs. Right now it was all about taking baby steps and her coming over for Thanksgiving was that first step.

Besides food, drinks, and merriment they had all taken a slew of family pictures in their autumn colored outfits. April had a photographer come to capture the moment. There was momma and me pictures featuring April and her baby girls, daddy and me pictures including April and her sisters who took pictures with their mother and father as well. Even Ebony took pictures with her father Ny-Reek. The couples took pictures and even though April and Dave weren't together they still participated in couple pictures. They even made sure to get their usual pictures with all three of their children and Chris as a whole and separately. By now it was family tradition and they fully understood what it meant to be a blended family. It meant everyone was included. They even snagged a couple of pictures with the family as a whole.

Although the night was winding down Thanksgiving was far from over. The party was still going strong. The men were in the basement playing spades, talking shit, watching the football game, drinking, and smoking on blunts and cigars. While the women were upstairs talking more so gossiping and dancing while the teens of the family had their own little vibe going on. You know making videos for Instagram, TikTok, and going live. The little ones were in the playroom next door with April watching them through the baby monitor and constantly walking back and forth in person just to make sure they were ok.