10: Footsteps

Chapter 10: Footsteps Dave

Dave

You are a vision of perfection
In my eyes, I was caught up in a blessin'
Didn't realize how it wasn't fair to compare
All the things I knew that I've been through
As if you didn't have anything that you went through
I treated you like medicine
But I guess I wasn't listening
When you tried to explain that you had hurt and pain, too
But as long as I felt better, then it was all good
But we wasn't good
So convinced that things were understood
Meanwhile, I had baggage to unpack
And I just had to admit that
Still dealing with the battles, feeling so inadequate
And I know that I should've stayed
But at the time, it felt like I had to quit
And I know that you probably thinking
Just I ain't thinking 'bout myself
But you still playing in my head to this day talking 'bout
[Footsteps: By Kehlani ft. Musiq Soulchild]

He knew he wasn't supposed to be here and that April had taken this trip to get away and make some shit shake after all he had put her through. But something in his heart told him that he needed to be here today. He had never intended on raining on her parade and even let her do her for a few days before intruding but something inside of him wouldn't let him rest. He tried not to think about her or what she was doing but still something called out to him. It was something deep in his body and his soul that said right here standing in front of her is where he needed to be. Standing in his arms is where she was supposed to be. With the urge so strong he knew that he had to take that flight. It was time to right his wrongdoings or at least try to. He needed to start somewhere.

The last time he had actually been around her she had ended up crying herself to sleep in his arms. So he knew that she was walking around smiling after the bomb he dropped on her was nothing but a façade. Or maybe it was genuine since she seemed to not hide her emotions anymore. Whatever it was he was here for her. Besides he was the reason why she had been in her feelings to begin with. So if he could do anything to change that along with the way she was feeling then he was going to do his best to make it right. He wasn't necessarily here to get her back per se because he was still working on himself but tonight he was right where he was supposed to be. He was at home starring his home right in the eyes lovingly. He was letting her know that he was still there and that there was no need to look for anyone else.

"What are you doing here" April asked above a whisper as if him standing in front of her was a dream. The look she had in her eyes he knew that she wanted him there. It could've been the alcohol and the weed deceiving him but he could always see past that. He could always see and read her emotions through her eyes. She could never hide that from him.

"I came here for you ma" he replied honestly as he shot her a smile and wiped the lone tear that had managed to slip from her glossed eyes. He knew she didn't even know she was crying. With the smile on her face and the way she relaxed in his arms he knew that even though she wasn't fucking with him he was still right where she wanted him to be. She didn't have to say it he felt it. Besides if things had gone as planned he would've been here anyway. "By the way I saw you dancing with ya lil friend ya lucky I ain't tryna get arrested in another country" he joked but he was also serious. He wasn't feeling that shit at all but he was letting her have her fun. He wasn't here to cause drama or fuck up her vibe. He knew that she needed this time to unwind and let everything that had transpired in the past few months go. Even if it was just for a few days. She just needed time to decompress and get back to herself because whether he wanted to admit it or not he could still see and feel her sadness.