7: Baby Steps

Chapter 7: Baby Steps

"You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step."
[By: Martin Luther King Jr]

April

"Hey mommy do you mind sticking around for a lil while I wanted to talk to you bout something" April asked her mother as they sat around the family room that was now back in perfect order and rid of the remnants of her girls' night shenanigans. It was another Friday afternoon which meant she had the day off and Kairi was spending the weekend with her and Charlie. She stayed with Dave during the week. April still wasn't feeling the arrangements but she never complained because she still got the chance to see her every day. She might've had her on the weekends but she was far from a weekend mother. Kairi's head was lying in her lap with her knees bent with Charlie smushed beside Kairi with her head on her chest as they both looked at whatever Kairi now had playing on her Ipad. Whenever Kairi was home Charlie was right up under her and she didn't mind at all. She had taken her role of being a big sister serious and now since they didn't live together anymore they both tried to soak in as much time as they could together.

"Yea I'll be here for another hour or so. I told Alaina that I'd come bother her before I leave" Ananda answered. She and Faye was supposed to head back to Jersey later on tonight. "What's on ya mind or is this something we can't openly talk about" she curiously questioned as her eyes went to the kids then back to April to see if it was a conversation they could hear because they all refused to have adult conversations in front of the girls.

"Ok cool" April nodded. "I rather talk in private though"

"Ok well my grandbabies look occupied so how about you and I slide to the kitchen" Ananda said ready to see what was going on with her. Since her and Dave's breakup and the cancellation of their wedding she had been paying close attention to her just to make sure she was good and not slowly slipping back into the deep end. She couldn't do another I'm ok April knowing damn well that she was doing anything but ok.

"That'll work" April said as she turned her attention to the girls. "Hey my baby's momma will be right back I need to talk to nana"

"K can we have a snack first" Kairi asked as she now looked up at April.

"It's almost dinner time so it has to be a small snack until after dinner" she had already made them some cupcakes and got Kairi's favorite ice cream so she wasn't about to let them overdo it on the snacks before dinner.

"Ok can we have pizza and wings"

"Yup daddy already said he was going to bring you guys some pizza and wings from that pizza store you like" April answered with a smile. Dave had already hit her up earlier and told her not to cook because Kairi had been asking for pizza all week long and since it was the weekend he'd get her some pizza.

"Yessss" she dragged cheesing making Charlie laugh at her excitement.

April laughed. "So what do you want a fruit cup, peanut butter crackers, or iced animal crackers" she asked thinking about the not so sugary deserts they had in the pantry.