8: Taking Charge

Chapter 8: Taking Charge

"The moment you accept responsibility for everything in your life is the moment you gain the POWER to change anything in your life."
[By: Hal Elrod]

Dave

"Good morning Mr. Brewster I'm glad you decided to come in this morning. I know you were a little weary but the fact that you showed up is a good start" Mrs. Lockwood said with a warm welcoming smile that made Dave ease up some. He had finally bit the bullet and made an appointment with a therapist. Before he even dared to make the appointment he had searched high and low for someone he thought was suitable for him. First off she was black which was a must for him because he wanted someone relatable. Two her credentials checked out, her reviews were amazing, she had a 4.9 star rating, and she specialized in what he was there for which was a plus. She had even been high on the recommended list.

"Good morning and Dave is fine. Honestly I started not to but I have too much to lose if I don't" Dave said as he looked at Mrs. Lockwood. She was in her mid-forties but looked like she was very much in her early thirties. She was taller than most women maybe 5'9 if he had to guess. Her skin was smooth and rich like a fresh jar of peanut butter, she had deep rich brown eyes that looked like they could reach deep into someone's soul, and her hair was in long layered sister locs that were ombred from a deep dark natural brown that faded into a golden yellow with amber-brown tones that somehow matched perfectly with her skin tone. She was definitely pretty on the eyes. She was tall, more on the plus side, and pretty nonetheless. Dave's eyes roamed from her to around the room which also had a calmness to it. It had a sophisticated but modern look to it. There was nice hardwood floors that looked freshly polished, the walls were cream, with different tones of greys surrounding it. There was a huge window that over looked other buildings surrounding it and brought in the right amount of sunlight. A huge built in wall bookshelf filled with books, décor, little succulent plants, and just like the therapists offices on TV it had a grey tufted lounge chaise. It also had a standard chair to match just in case the chaise wasn't what you wanted. Everything about the room screamed welcoming and inviting.

"So you told me a little bit about why you're here today but I'll ask you again just to clarify and go in depth so I'll know how to help you along your journey" she said as she picked up a small notebook that looked like someone had spent a pretty penny on it. The leather covering alone looked expensive.

Dave rubbed his hands over his jeans and cleared his throat as he laid back into the chaise chasing comfort. He couldn't believe he was actually about to do this but here he was about to open up and let it out. He had surprised himself when he actually walked through the door and not walked right back out.

"Take a deep breath. Inhale and exhale you're in a no judgement free zone. You are free to express yourself however you see fit. What you say in this room in front of me and in these four walls stays here and only here" she assured him that it was a safe space sensing his hesitation.