Chapter 1

"I know you." A female voice lazily sang in a deep ominous tone, "I walked with you once upon a dream. I know you, the gleam in your eyes is so familiar a gleam."

It was dark in the dream, pitch black. There was a rustling of dry leaves as they blew along the ground and very slowly the atmosphere brightened just enough for him to make out dead trees all around. Their limbs stretching to the sky like gnarled fingers desperately grasping for something.

"And I know it's true, that visions are seldom all they seem. . . but if I know you, I know what you'll do." The voice started up again, almost mixing with the wind. He stepped forward carefully, avoiding the tree roots that folded and crossed each other along the forest floor. He continued to look around for the source of the melody. Eventually, he saw a horned figure walking away from him, an air of elegance surrounding the silhouette. He stepped closer following the woman, but couldn't keep up, even though she moved at a leisurely pace. Even when he sped up and she didn't, she remained the same distance from him as she walked.

Then she stopped. And so did he. Her horns turned and he noticed she was looking to something in her hand. The top of a walking stick. No. A scepter. Very dimly it glowed a swampy green color. That little light made him feel warm inside, and safe. But more then that he felt desire.

That little green stone was all he'd ever wanted his whole life. And his whole life he'd been forced to compete for it.

Then, it changed. The speck of green became more vibrant as it turned to a fiery blue.

"You'll love me at once, the way you did once, upon a dream."

The melody continued as another breeze swept through and the woman began to walk again. The long black skirt of her robe dragging over the dead leaves she stepped over.

Then there was a big bang like lightning and he sat up in his hammock immediately awake.

He was outside, on a rooftop.

Taking a few deep breaths he remembered falling asleep here. It was the roof over the hideout of his gang. The hammock he was in was stitched together pieces of fabric, leftovers from Evie's prior projects.

The bang he'd heard came from below, a cat, or a VK, knocking over a trashcan. The sounds of people scurrying reached him just before his sister's voice did.

"They say I'm trouble, they say I'm bad. They say I'm evil, that makes me glad." Mal sang as she finished her graffiti and moved on to meet the others.

"A dirty no good, down to the bone. Your worst nightmare, can't take me home." Jay went on cutting through buildings, stealing as he went.

Getting out of his bed and brushing off his plum leather coat, Drac made his way down the fire escape joining in the tune and shaking off his dream.

"They know my temper, the Dragon Lad, fire in my belly, so don't make me mad." Drac sang as he leapt and vaulted from one fire escape to the next until he landed on the broken concrete of the road making the remaining people flee. The next building over he saw Carlos come through one of the windows and steal a scarf, his mouth was moving but Drac was too far away to hear him.

Eventually, their two paths crossed. The best friends high fived as they made their way to meet up with everyone else. They cut through a warehouse where the second floor had rows of beds. Carlos, in the lead, started somersaulting over people. Drac did the same and quickly caught up. It turned into a race to see who could parkour the fastest – completely disregarding the people they were leaping over.