Chapter 3

No one had mentioned the crazy old man who lived a few blocks from the school who made it his personal duty to get all of Auradon up bright and early. Admiral Boom they called him. He lived on Cherry Tree Lane and still had his old navy cannon strapped to his roof. At eight o'clock sharp he lit that thing off shaking all his neighbors' homes and the school. Only a loud 'posts everyone!' shout from one of the students alerted them of the time. For Drac and the others they had no idea what it meant, and growing up on the Isle slept right through the shouts and rushing outside their doors.

Once the boom went off and the room shook slightly Carlos shrieked as he fell out of bed. Jay sat up surprised and asked if Uma and Harry Hook were attacking. Diaval cawed but kept his feet clenched to the headboard which made his lower half sway as the rocking stopped. Drac rolled over burying his head under his pillow hoping that would make the noise go away so he could go back to sleep. But shortly after things calmed down the clock tower went off, and it just kept bong, bong, bonging. Between it and Diaval cawing at the bell it didn't take long before Drac gave up on getting more sleep and got up to get ready for class.

He combed his green hair and put some gel in it, though that didn't keep a few strands from falling across his forehead. He put on a pair of black jeans with tears that showed bright lime green underneath before putting on a dark purple and green acid washed long sleeved shirt before throwing on his boots and plum leather gloves. He opened the window so Diaval could get in and out when he wanted before Drac met the others in the hall. As they headed to class he could tell Mal was still angry about last night.

"I can't believe we almost had it." She said.

"Should we try again tonight?" Jay asked eager to prove he could steal the thing if given one more chance.

"No that'd be too obvious." Mal said.

"Yeah." Drac agreed shoving his hands in his pockets again, "We almost got caught once, even if we got away with or without the thing it wouldn't take long before someone would figure out, 'hey there's suddenly been a lot of break ins in a land of all heroes, gee wonder who's doing it? Oh yeah – those villain kids!'"

Jay rolled his eyes and shook his head but said nothing. He knew Drac had a point. They were lucky they hadn't already been tossed back onto the Isle. Where they'd no doubt face the wrath of their parents for blundering everything up so quickly.

"Good morning!" Fairy Godmother welcomed as she walked into the classroom after they'd all taken a seat. She passed their desks and approached the blackboard, "Now today I've prepared some scenarios, let's get started shall we?" she said with a bright smile. Why was everything in Auradon so bright? It made his eyes hurt.

Drac started to zone out as soon as Fairy Godmother read off her scenarios. He noticed Mal had opened up her notebook and started sketching the wand. It made him miss their collection of spray cans at home and wondered what he'd have to do to get his hands on a couple here.

"If you see someone being bullied do you, A: join in? B: get an adult? C: walk away? Or D: laugh?"

Jay looked confused. Carlos looked nervous. And Evie was busy twirling her hair. After a beat of silence Mal looked up, saw her crew and rolled her eyes. Lazily she raised her hand in the air.

"Mal." Fairy Godmother called on her with a bigger smile.

"B: get an adult."

"Very good. Number two. You come across a lost wallet while walking, do you, A: bring it to the lost and found? B: spend the money? C: turn it in but take a twenty? Or D: leave it?"

Drac looked down at the desk and started scratching his nail over it trying to carve 'Long Live Evil'. Carlos raised his hand and Fairy Godmother called on him.