Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Drac had plopped down on his canopy bed with a sigh. Glancing out the window he saw the Isle, with its clouded skies encased in the dome above. His mind wandered as he wondered what would be happening there in the next few days. He turned his head from the window trying to forget so he could get some sleep. He was pleasantly surprised to find everything exactly as he'd left it the day of the coronation. Even the laptop and headphones were on his nightstand where he'd left it all. He grabbed the headphones and slipped them on his head, flipped the computer open and found some music. The beat was soft in his ears as he set the volume low and it helped him stay calm as he drifted off to sleep.

- - LONG LIVE EVIL - -

The following day Drac had gone to see Ben in his office before classes started. He had more worries then he'd gone to bed with, when he'd woken up he found the Dragon's Egg which he had put under his pillow before bed – had started to hatch. There were small lines in the purple shell of the egg that glowed green and knowing the power the egg would contain, scared Drac enough that he wanted to get advice from the King. He knocked on the ornate oak door and heard Ben call 'Come in' from the other side. Drac cracked the door open and poked his head inside and saw Ben hunched over a pile of papers filling in his signature. He looked up to see who had knocked and smiled when he saw it was Drac.

"Hey Drac, come in." he greeted standing up and gesturing to the empty chair on the other side of the desk, "Make yourself at home."

"Thanks." Drac replied a bit warily as he stuffed his hands into his pockets and approached the chair but stayed standing. Ben noticed and rested his hands in the pockets of his slacks looking relaxed but also picking up that something was wrong. "I need to talk to you about something, pretty urgent."

"Of course." Ben said with a serious nod. Drac took a deep breath and pulled out the Dragon's Egg from his pocket. Ben's eyes widened a bit when he saw the glowing cracks in it and he sat back down at his desk as Drac rested the egg on the wooden surface.

"I'm worried it's going to hatch sooner rather then later." Drac said expressing his concern.

Ben nodded then turned to his phone and pressed a button, "Lumiere?"

"Yes Sire?" came the reply.

"Can you please get Fairy Godmother and have her come see me immediately?"

"Of course, Sire."

Drac sat down across from Ben and rested his elbows on his knees. Fairy Godmother didn't take long to arrive and once she stepped into Ben's office and saw the Dragon's Egg on his desk her normally cheerful expression fell from her face.

"Oh my." She began as she closed the door and approached them. "Is that?"

"My mother's talisman." Drac responded looking up at her.

"Do you have any suggestions as to what we can do about it?" Ben asked. Drac assumed the question was for Fairy Godmother but when she didn't respond he turned to Ben and noticed the King was looking at him.

"I, uh, well. . . " he shook his head, "I don't know that much about the scepter. Whenever I asked my mother about it she'd always say it was Mal's destiny not mine, unless I did something worthwhile enough to prove myself. I was obsessed with it when I was younger, I dreamt about being the one to wield it one day." He shrugged, "Even though on the Isle it was just a fancy walking stick. But still, it was what it represented."

"Your mom's approval." Ben said understanding, probably from talking to Mal.

Drac nodded and looked at his lap playing with his fingers. "I'm not sure if the egg can be destroyed. I don't think that would solve anything." Then his head snapped back up, "Please don't think I'm trying to trick you into anything. I swear as far as villains go I'm not –"