Chapter 20

I'm horrible for taking this long to update, but I am so glad to be back and I refuse to leave this story until it is finished. 

Chapter 20

When they made it down the mountain and back to the others they expected to find the next door out of there. But it looked like another one hadn't appeared.

"What do we do?" Evie asked nervously.

Carlos took out the map from Yen Sid, "This way!" he pointed to a cavern in the base of the mountain, "There's no way back so we have to keep going forward."

"Great. Another dark tunnel." Jay mumbled as they all ran in having no other option as the ground started to fall away under their feet.

"If the map is right. . . then this one should lead back home to Auradon." Carlos said and Drac's head snapped to him.

"I can't go to Auradon." He said quickly and Mal rested her hand on his shoulder.

"Don't worry. We'll talk to Ben, it will be –"

"It's not just that." He interrupted her, "All my stuff is back on the Isle. And Diaval –"

"I'm sure the goblins will feed Diaval." Mal assured him, "And we still have your stuff in Carlos and Jay's dorm."

That threw him for a minute. Part of him had expected it to get thrown out. "You guys kept my stuff?"

"Sure we did." Jay said with his crooked smile, "We did always intend to get you. We just didn't realize we'd been taking so long."

"Yeah, time flies when you're having fun." Drac agreed although he wasn't sure if the others would still see running around the Isle causing trouble as 'fun'. He didn't tell them, but Diaval wasn't the only one he was worried about leaving behind without any notice. There was also his father. Drac had been Hades regular visitor, probably his only visitor, and he felt a bad knotting in his gut at just up and leaving his dad.

"Every villain for themselves. . .When push comes to shove you do what you gotta do, okay?"

Every villain for themselves, dad had said. So if Drac made it off the Isle and back to Auradon maybe his dad wouldn't be too upset after all. Maybe he'd even be proud that Drac had taken his advice.

But what about the others? Diego? Freddie? Celia? And most of all, CJ? They'd surely find out one way or another about his disappearance and sudden reappearance in Auradon. Would they think he ditched them? He hoped not. He didn't want them to think -

He was pulled from his thoughts when their group noticed that ahead of them in the tunnel there was something shining. When they rounded the corner they saw abandonded wooden wheelbarrows, and the walls were full of diamonds and gems imbedded in them.

"This looks like a dwarf mine." Evie said, and she would know since she was dating Doug.

"Looks like they left in a hurry." Carlos noted looking at the wheelbarrows full of gems.

"Let's keep going." Mal said leading them forward, then she stopped suddenly and froze, "Wait. I heard something. . . footsteps? Can you hear it?"

They all stopped and held their breath to let them hear more. There was a slight patter up ahead and Drac pulled up the zipper of his pocket so the egg inside would stay nestled in there safely in case this became a fight.

"There's someone else here." Jay said stepping forward to flank Mal, his mind probably in the same place Drac's was.

"Do you think it could be, them?" Carlos asked and it was obvious that he had no desire to run into his mother.