Chapter 40

Chapter 40

Their trio met up with Carlos, Jay, Evie and CJ after they reported they lost Hook's trail and consequently, lost their bikes. Mal took the lead as they walked the rest of the way, Drac's limp forcing him to the back of their cluster.

Mal held her and out to him, "Here. Lemme see." she said and he paused.

His fingers clenched around the ember and he pulled his hand back. "No." he said, softly but defiantly, making Mal give him a disbelieving look. He shrugged to try and bring some nonchalance to the situation, "I got it."

CJ stepped up by him, "Yeah, he's got it."

CJ had been there when Drac took back his half of the Isle, she had been there while he'd been ambassadoring for Auradon. Drac had been living on his own independently for long enough that he didn't automatically listen to his sister's instructions anymore. Yes he still cared, yes he still helped her, but he just didn't have to obey her every word. And Mal looked like she hadn't encountered that yet, from anyone in their crew. She gave a small scoff in disbelief and turned and kept leading their group to the bridge.

"Alright, get in, get out. Jay you good?" she asked redirecting her attention.

"Yeah."

"Okay, hold on." Jay hit the button and the barrier opened, just like his dad said the second Drac stepped through he felt a wave of magic energy and his leg and all his injuries felt completely healed, like they'd never even been there.

"Uh." Evie began and he looked over to her as she pointed to Mal who had grey hairs starting to come back in.

"Here." he said tossing her the ember. She caught it and shuddered as a wave of magic rippled through her too.

"Whoa." Evie said, running her fingers through Mal's hair where the greys had turned to blues, "You got a little Hades thing going."

"Wow." Mal said looking at her arms checking for wrinkles.

"That thing packs a punch huh?" Carlos smiled.

Then there was a thud behind them and they turned to see Harry and Gil somersaulting through the hole in the barrier just as it closed.

"We made it bro! We made it!" Gil cheered as they hugged briefly. But as they turned they realized they had drawn attention.

"Hey guys." Harry grinned playing innocent. "We're just comin' for a wee visit."

But Carlos and Jay hurried to push them both back, even CJ stepped in front of Drac protectively.

Harry gave her a warning look, "Don't even try it runt."

He gave her a shove, but CJ shoved right back. Harry looked impressed for a moment before he smirked in a 'game on' type way and shoved her with his full force. She stumbled back into Mal and the ember fell out of her hand. She dove for it and so did Drac but Harry Hook got there first and pushed it off the edge with his hook.

"No!" Mal cried seconds before a tentacle shot out of the water and grabbed the ember before it could touch the water.

There was a huge splash as Uma emerged smirking, "Drop something?"

"It can't get wet! Give it back before it goes out!" Uma laughed at Mal's pleads as Drac looked at her with an open jaw.

"Uma!" Harry and Gil both said in shock.

"That's my name." she waved at them, wiggling her fingers. Then she submerged.

"No!" Mal shouted again as a huge mountain of water rose up. Drac closed his mouth and braced for a fight, his palm growing hotter though he held off on making a real flame. For a moment he wondered what he could do if he made fire while holding the ember in Auradon. Would his hair catch fire like his dad's? He didn't have time to wonder long before the tsunami exploded all over them and as the water rained down Mal searched the sea for Uma.