Chapter 41

Chapter 41

"Ben!"

"Ben!"

"Ben!" Carlos, Jay and Drac shouted as they made their way through the woods. CJ walked beside him holding his hand, fingers entwined. CJ normally wasn't one for public displays of affection which meant she was either getting nervous about this whole Audrey situation, or she wanted to mess with Harry. He hoped it was the latter, if it was the former. . . then they were in big trouble. Nothing shook CJ Hook, and Drac often relied on her composure and confidence.

"Dude." Carlos called as he sat on a rock. "Come on, nothing?"

"These things just grow everywhere." Gil said excitedly as he found a berry bush as he picked the fruit and popped one into his mouth. "Hey we should play that ice breaker. Um, Jay, I like the way that you can. . . bounce around and jump off things. These are free right?" he asked holding up the berry.

Jay paused a moment seeming surprised by the genuine compliment.

"Yeah, um." Jay replied. "I like how you get a kick out of a berry bush."

Gil deflated just a bit, smart enough to put two and two together, "I guess you've probably seen everything by now huh? Furry rocks, giant fish, you're probably used to grabbing lunch off a bush."

Jay chuckled, "Actually no not really. I mainly just use the vending machines at practice. Ya know, tourney kinda eats up most of my time."

Then Harry's laughter broke through the conversation and he leaned his arm against a tree as he laughed.

"Tourney? That's a wee boy's game."

But Jay and Gil ignored him and continued their conversation.

"You know what would be fun?" Gil asked Jay, "Rafting down a jungle river."

The amused smile fell from Harry's face as Jay enthusiastically replied, "Find a lost civilization."

"Oh or maybe a penguin!"

"Well you'd find those more on like icebergs, but I'd love to see one of those."

"How 'bout explore Atlantica?" CJ suggested as she plucked a berry from the bush and continued walking by with Drac.

Gil was practically bouncing on the balls of his feet, "Then we can see the giant fish!"

"You guys are killing me." Harry sneered as he pushed off the tree and walked over to the bush they were at. He stabbed a berry with his hook and brought it to his lips, he gave a small hum at the taste before leaning over and looking to Carlos.

"P. S. yer mutt went that way. And we're slaves to time so tick tock." He said as Dude called for Carlos.

"Dude what do you see?"

"This way." The dog said leading them on. CJ skipped ahead, talking with Gil about more possibilities for adventures.

But Drac hung back and in doing so caught Jay going back for a few more berries. When he realized he'd been caught he gave a sheepish smile as Drac held out a fist for him to bump.

"You good?"

Drac took a deep breath, "I guess."

Jay paused mid chew. "What's wrong?"

Drac glanced over to him. "Mal."

Jay quirked a brow.

"She's mad at me."

"What for?" he asked popping another berry into his mouth.

"She. . . found out that I spent time with our father."