Chapter 4

After all their classes were over for the day Drac headed down to the tourney field with Carlos. On the Isle Drac and Carlos were as close as Mal and Evie, partially from how close they were in age compared to the others in the group.

Carlos had filled Drac in on how Ben had persuaded the coach to let him on the team with Jay and how the prince had even offered to help him train after class. Drac, being the cautious son of Maleficent, decided to go with him, he wanted to make sure his friend would be okay and that this wasn't some ploy by the prince. He could be hunting for information or a weakness, Drac theorized, although the prince did seem a little too trusting for his own good. Still, mother had always said stay two steps ahead of your enemies and you'll never lose the race. So he decided to wait on the bleachers while Carlos practiced.

The cheerleaders were also having practice not too far away and down the field from them was the band. Drac helped pass the time by trying to pair up which kids went with which parents. Audrey of course was the daughter of Philip and Aurora, Chad was Cinderella's son, Doug's father was Dopey and Jane's mother was Fairy Godmother but he knew very little about the others. Two steps ahead, a small voice echoed in his mind.

One boy down by the band seemed to be directing the rest, he had tanned skin and dark hair, wore a beige jacket and a purple ball cap, maybe a son of Aladdin? In front of him holding instruments were a girl with auburn hair, another boy with dark hair who was lankier then the Agrabah boy, a girl with skin like milk chocolate and one more boy who was shorter than the rest and wearing a green hoodie. Before Drac could make any guesses he heard Ben shout.

"Okay. Carlos, we're gonna do some sprints. You ready?" Ben asked and Carlos nodded getting on one knee ready to take off. Then Drac heard it –a bark. Oh no. Ben looked up and Carlos had already taken off, a small patch of brown fur running after him. As amused as Drac was he also knew that his friend was truly terrified so he hurried down the bleachers, jumping off the last few steps and ran over to Ben who was just now noticing that Carlos hadn't stopped sprinting.

"Sweet!" Ben shouted as he clocked Carlos on his stopwatch. Then Drac tapped him on the shoulder and pointed in Carlos' direction and Ben's eyebrows shot up.

"Carlos? Carlos!" he shouted as they ran after him into the woods. Drac was no stranger to running after growing up on the Isle but with the wind in his hair he couldn't help but think that following Carlos would be better if he was flying. Eventually they found Carlos up a tree with the small dog waiting at the bottom of the trunk.

"Carlos!" Ben shouted with Drac right behind him.

"Ben! Drac! Guys help me!" Carlos called. "This thing is a killer! He's gonna chase me down and rip out my throat. This is a vicious rabid pack animal!"

"Caw!"

A black shadow swooped down as Diaval landed on Carlos' head.

"Diaval! Help! Sick 'em! Pluck it's eyes out!"

Diaval only leaned forward and looked at Carlos upside down and tilted his head to the side. Drac chuckled at the crow's 'what am I supposed to do about it?' reaction and held out two fingers.

"Diaval." He called and the raven flew to him and landed on his hand. Drac pulled his fingers closer to his torso and pet Diaval's feathers.

"That bird is useless!" Carlos shouted and the dog barked. The sound made Carlos squeal again and scramble to get higher in the tree. "Don't just stand there! Get it before it rips out my throat!"

"Hey, who told you that?" Ben asked and picked up the dog.

"My mother."

"Who else?" Drac muttered turning to the prince.