Chapter 27

Chapter 27

"What's gotten into you?" Mal asked as Drac pulled her along by the hand. He had slipped them into a tunnel just outside the Curl Up and Dye, maybe a piece of the Endless Catacombs that still existed? She didn't have time to ask too much about how her brother knew it was there. Drac's sudden shift in behavior was on the forefront of her mind. If they were above ground she never would have let anyone see her getting tugged along like this.

"I have some business that needs tending to." He replied not slowing down.

"We've only been here a few hours." She scoffed in her playful way.

Drac stopped immediately and turned to her. She was caught off guard by the seriousness in his eyes. "You haven't had to take back the Isle before. I have. Trust me. We've got a lot of damage control to do and we need a good, or rather bad, first impression."

He let go of her arm as he continued on and Mal followed silently. She began reanalyzing her brother, unsure of exactly who was walking with her. This was a different Drac then the one she'd grown up with, a different Drac then the one she'd seen in Auradon. Her brother was using skills she'd never had to learn and she knew the best thing to do was observe what he did and how he did it.

When they got to the entrance to the Slop Shop Drac again stopped. He held his hand up to her. "Wait here."

Not the one to take orders Mal scoffed again, but that serious look on her brother's face made her pause.

"Wait. Here." He repeated. She gave a nod and he stepped into the café. Immediately the goblins inside went mad, hopping and leaping while they cheered in their grunting and snorting way. Drac smirked evilly as he stepped onto a chair then up onto the counter where he sat and held court. He grabbed a cup of muddy coffee and sipped at it. He hid his disgust behind a solid mask, his tongue more used to Auradon food now. But he continued to sip leisurely with his elbows resting on his knees.

After Drac had left his father he had stepped outside and grabbed the first goblin he saw.

There was a prior matter that was long overdue.

Many of the goblins crowded around him, some thanked him for his work on the embargo disassembly, others kissed his feet propped on the barstool while others chanted his name. Finally a group of them burst through the door and the crowd made way for them. In the center was a goblin with each arm held tightly by one of his brothers as he was dragged inside kicking and screaming. Customers seated along the far walls watched, some with fear, others entertained like it was dinner theater.

"Here he is Drac!"

"We got him!"

"Scum among scum!"

"Traitor!"

"We got him!"

The goblin in question was thrown on the floor before Drac who looked down on him as he finished off the coffee. Then he threw aside the cup.

"Grimgar." He noted and Mal watched from behind the curtain impressed. She'd never known any of the goblins names. And her mother certainly hadn't cared to learn any of them. But Drac had won over the goblins and maybe treating them better then Maleficent had played in his favor.

The goblin, Grimgar, trembled on the concrete floor but tried to look calm. Drac stood, a foot on each barstool as he kept looking down at the traitor.

"You are charged with treason." Drac said very casually.

"My ruthless one I'd never –"

"You sold my sister out to Mad Maddy and her crew of pathetic has-beens. Do you deny it?"