Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Jay grabbed a rock and flung it at the sign opening the secret door. Ben headed for the steps but none of them followed. He paused when he noticed and turned to them.

"Wish me luck."

"All the way up." Jay said.

"Good luck." Evie said as Ben headed up the steps. Drac hoped Mal wouldn't be angry with him for leading them to her. But he did agree that Ben should at least get a chance to apologize and talk it out with Mal. Like Hades had said, Mal never asked for help, maybe Ben would get her to see that it was okay to ask for it. Even when it was about something as dull as royal duties and interviews.

Drac let out a whistle and Diaval flew down from the roof, probably napping in Drac's old hammock. When he landed on a rotting beam that helped hold up the steps Drac noticed the feathers of his chest were covered in cracker crumbs.

He chuckled, "Well you liked that gift huh?"

He pet his raven to destress but he didn't get long to himself before Evie marched over to him.

"Alright, tell us everything you know." She said with her hands on her hips. Drac knew Mal hadn't let her in on all the stress she'd been feeling lately. She knew Evie was loving her life in Auradon and didn't want to ruin it for her best friend. But obviously Evie felt like Mal hadn't trusted her and Drac didn't want the bluenette to feel that way. Drac sat on a table that was covered in paint and mold from sitting outside and crossed his legs getting comfortable with Diaval in his lap before he started explaining.

"Her fight with Ben is what really pushed her over the edge." Drac admitted, "I think he was the last tie she really had to Auradon and once that started going south she felt like she'd failed and just wanted to be someplace where she felt like she belonged."

Evie's head fell, "I wish she had told me." She said crossing her arms and pacing the alley.

Jay looked from their hurt friend to Drac, "What about the Isle? Do we have protection on your side?"

"It's not really my side anymore." Drac told him, "Uma's been slowly taking over, at least, that's what Dizzy Tremaine said. And we saw Harry Hook come to collect from her. Uma's taking over everything, we have to assume nowhere is safe."

"What's Mal's plan then?" Carlos asked, "If Uma's in charge now –"

"If Mal decides to stay Uma won't be in charge for long. Between me and Mal we can take back our half of the Isle, maybe more."

"Is that what you want?" Jay asked.

"Yeah, what about Cotillion? You were so excited to DJ." Evie chimed in turning back to them.

"And you spend every spare minute in our dorm working on new beats. You're just as good with music as you are with magic. And that's saying something." Carlos said with a half smile.

Drac sighed, he remembered his father advising him to not forget to pursue his own dreams, his own desires. Not to just slide back into his sister's shadow. But it wasn't simple, Drac wa crossroads with himself. Both Auradon and the Isle had things, and people, he liked to spend time with. But like he'd told Dizzy, the grass was always greener. Eventually in Auradon he missed the Isle, running around and ruling, instead of sitting in meetings pitching his case. But when he was on the Isle last time he eventually missed Auradon, Aziz, Opal and everyone else in band, he missed the music, and the food. But with the barrier Drac knew he had to choose a side. He just didn't know which side of him was stronger, and he felt like he was the only one fighting that fight. So instead of the headache it all caused him, he went with his gut, and chose the one thing he knew he could never turn his back on: family. "I'm staying with my sister. That's all I know. If she chooses Auradon, I'm there, but if she chooses to stay on the Isle, then I'm staying too."