Chapter 76

Jack

"So you're saying that you've been playing Sarah all along and now Daniel has snitched on you?" Duncan says, summing up everything I've told him in the past hour with just one sentence.

"Yes." I sigh and let my head fall into my hands.

"I don't know what to do, it was never supposed to be like this." I say miserably.

"What was it supposed to be like then?" I lift my head to look at Duncan and see that he's watching me in a skeptical way. "Things like this never stays a secret for very long, Jack, you should now this by now."

"I just thought-"

"Thought what? That Sarah would stay oblivious to all of this?"

"I was hoping for it." I mutter. "Which she would've if Daniel wouldn't have interfered!" I grunt and get the sudden urge to hit something - or rather someone.

"Well you've already punished him enough for meddling with your life and I suggest you don't do it again."

"He deserved it."

"And you don't think you do after how you've treated Sarah?" Duncan asks with a raised eyebrow. I frown at his question but keep quiet.

"Yes, I do, okay?" I mumble. "I know I screwed up, badly." I say with a voice of regret.

"Why, Jack? The way you've been talking about this girl, it sounded as if you genuinely liked her."

"I freaked out alright?" I snap and give him a serious look. "I have never, ever, been as close to someone as Sarah. Not even my own mother, nor my brother. I have never in my whole life had someone as close as her and it freaks me out. I feel vulnerable when I'm with her and I don't like that one bit." I mutter and shake my head.

"I don't expect you to understand. No one does, not Sarah, not Karen, especially not Daniel. All he's been trying to do is screw up everything little thing between Sarah and I, and now he has succeeded."

"Forget about Daniel, I'll make sure he won't be a problem anymore." Duncan says in a dangerous tone and I take his word for it. You don't want to be messing with him and I guess he genuinely wants Daniel and I to stay friends. However that's not going to happen.

Suddenly Duncan's posture soften and he looks at me in a gentle way, a look I well remember from the day my parents died.

"But Jack, it's not me you should be telling this." He says and looks at me meaningly.

"I know." I say with a low voice and look away.

"You need to sort this out as quickly a you can, otherwise you're going to lose her."

Even though Duncan's means it in a kind way, the words feel like a blow to my stomach and the tears comes burning into my eyes. I blink them away furiously and clear my throat.

"She won't listen to me, I don't think she'll even want to look at me." I exclaim in horror.

"Duncan there's no way I can fix this." I continue hopelessly. Duncan takes my hand and pats it lightly.