Chapter 80

Sarah

We spend some time in my room playing one drinking game before leaving. I insisted on doing so since almost everyone from my year will probably be at the party, hence I don't want to arrive completely sober. After a quick round I am good to go, with an ounce of confidence thanks to the alcohol, and we start to get ready.

As we are heading down the stairs we pass by Jack's room and I notice his door being wide open. Curiously I peek discreetly inside from where I'm walking and see Jack standing topless with a pair of black jeans. He's newly showered and drying his hair. I take a second too long to stare at his bare chest and he notices me looking. Our eyes lock for a second before he grins and stretch out to full length, clearly enjoying my obvious ogling. I redden at his grin and quickly look away, putting my chin in the air. I can hear him chuckling as I walk down the stairs and the sounds brings mixed emotions. I am both irritated at myself for showing interest in him, but can't help enjoying the sound of his laughter.

"Ready to go?" Sam asks when I reach the bottom of the stairs. He must have passed without me noticing it. Once again I scold myself for letting Jack occupy up my mind.

"Yeah, sure." I say absent minded. Jack's satisfied chuckle still rings in my ears as we step out on the my street and wait for Sam's friend to pick us up. This is one of those friends that I've met a couple of times in school, but everything I know about them I've heard through rumors or from Sam. Even though Sam and I are close we still hang with different types of groups in school. At least that was until my group decided to completely freeze me out, thanks to Keira. My mind turns sour as I think of her and I'm glad that she, for sure, won't come to the party.

It starts snowing as we stand waiting outside. Thankfully Alan, Sam's friend, arrives rather quickly and we jump into the car. We say our hellos and Sam starts chatting with Alan immediately. Feeling as though I have very little to say, I lean back against the seat and enjoy the ten minute long drive, which otherwise would take about half an hour to walk.

I listen to their conversation and find out that apparently Alan is staying the night at Jimmy F's house. Which immediately makes me wonder how I am getting home. Though I've barely started to think about this as we arrive to an insanely lit up house, with music blasting through the front door as it opens and closes. A lot of other people have decided to show up about the same time as us. I let out a sigh of relief as I stare at the big house, which is packed with people. The more drunk teens, the merrier.

I thank Alan for the ride as I hop out of the car and stand on the sidewalk, waiting for the two boys. They are still deep in conversation and I follow them towards the house, hugging my jacket tight around me. Feeling slightly left out, since I'm not engaged in the conversation at all. I brush the feeling off as we pass a gang of smokers, most of them I recognize from school. Apparently Alan know them and he starts giving each a different hand shake. Sam give them each a normal handshake, I only say a tight hello to everyone at once and urge for Sam to come inside with me. Alan decides to stay out with his friends and I take ahold of Sam to get him inside with me.

"You're with me tonight, okay? You cannot leave me alone with any of these people." I hiss at him as the music gets louder the further inside we get. Sam brushes me off with a laugh.

"Calm down, Sarah, you're overthinking this. Just relax and have a good time." He tells me easily, not seeming bothered at all.

I myself am getting more bothered by the minute as I see more and more people from school. People I never even look in the eye normally. I've barely even spoken to half of them and the other half I've said a word or two to. We all have our prejudice against one another and judge each other based on gossip. I start feeling anxious as Sam leads us toward the Jimmies. Socializing with people I know unlike me has never been something for me.

"Ey! Jimmy!" Sam croaks and gain Jimmy K's attention, who shouts in excitement and brings Sam in for a hug. Jimmy K is also known as the tall Jimmy, he's almost 1.90 meters long. The other Jimmy is the buff one, he's not much taller than me but has muscles like a wrestler.

"How's it going, bro?" Jimmy asks and I can see that he's already have had quite a lot to drink. This becomes even clearer when he lets go of Sam and turn to me. "SARAAH!" He roars and brings me in for a bear hug. Sam takes a step back to give Jimmy some space and avoid getting overrun by him.

Completely taken aback, I stiffen and awkwardly return his hug. Patting his back lightly as to signal that he can let me go. The message is not received, instead he decides to lift me from the floor and I shriek. A small laugh escapes from my lips, finding the whole situation slightly humorous. Jimmy finally decides to put me down and I can breathe again.

"How are you girl?" Jimmy squeals, trying to act girly, and I lift my brows at him.

"I'm fine thank you." I laugh at him and shake my head. The nervousness has gone away slightly and I find myself relaxing.

"Hey, dude, is there a safe place where we can put our jackets and personal belongings?" Sam comes up to us, tapping Jimmy's right shoulder. By now Jimmy F has found us as well and gives the exact same greeting as Jimmy K. Once I'm released from my second bear hug today I let out a sigh of relief. Hopefully those will be the only drunken hugs I will have to endure tonight.

"Yeah sure!" Jimmy K assures, taking a sip of his beer. "Follow me." He tells us and we do. Jimmy leads us up the stairs, to a more secluded area of the house.

"This is off limits, alright? If you see someone up here then tell me and I will kick em' out." Jimmy informs as he opens up a locked door. Inside the room is packed with personal belongings from everyone downstairs. Sam and I decide to put our things inside a drawer cabinet.

"How are we supposed to see if there's someone here if we aren't allowed to be here?" I whisper to Sam as we head back downstairs. Jimmy is up ahead and unable to hear my question. Instead of giving me a proper answer Sam only rolls his eyes at me, probably thinking I was joking.

We have barely reached the bottom of the stairs before Jimmy K lets out another of his drunken roars. Summoning the attention of whatever newly arrived teens.

"Jackie! My man!" He shouts and I turn still. With a frosty stare I follow Jimmy as he walks up to the one person I thought I'd avoid tonight: Jack bloody Davis. Is there no end to my misery? Can I not escape this devilish creature?

Jack smiles and do one of those complex handshakes. I keep my eyes on Jack as a mix of love and hatred hits the center of my belly. Even though they aren't too far away I can't hear what they are saying. However I see Jack lean in, saying something that makes Jimmy grin and then point at me. My eyebrows shoot up in horror as Jack's eyes turn to mine, checking me out. His facial expression stays the same, seeming unbothered by his obvious staring, and I start to feel uneasy. Finally Jack winks and gives me one of his megawatt smiles. Caught off guard I frown and watch as he follows some guys toward the kitchen.

"Hey," Sam comes up behind me, startling me for the second time today. "Wanna get something to drink?" He asks, putting one arm lazily around.

"I do indeed." Still feeling uneasy from Jack's weird behavior just now, I let Sam lead me to the one thing that can make me relax tonight: alcohol.