Chapter 35

Sarah
There is a knock on the door and I can hear mum's distant voice through it.

"Sarah, dinner's ready."

I sit up with a grunt in the bed and switch my bed lamp on. Next to it is the empty cup that mum brought tea in before. My head is throbbing and my eyes are sore. Getting out of bed, I walk over to my mirror and grunt one more time when I see my reflection. My hair is a mess, the cheeks are mottled and my eyes are puffy. I look like hell and it is obvious that I have been crying.

Peeking through the door, I head out and into the toilet in a rush. Taking out my make up to cover some of the mess. A moment later I look a bit better. The red streamed and puffy eyes were hard to do anything about, but at least my cheeks look more normal coloured.

With one last brave look in the mirror and a small sigh I head out. Terrified about meeting Jack and mum, knowing that she will bomb me with questions. I don't want to see Jack in general; it will just be awkward, incredibly awkward.

I am acting as though he has been cheating on me, which he sort of has, however at the same time hasn't, since we aren't in a relationship. I am totally pissed off at him and hurt, mostly hurt. Though I try to convert that into anger, it is easier to deal with.

The closer I get to the kitchen, the slower I walk. It is almost like I am crawling into the kitchen with the will to run back into my room.

Mum and Jack are already seated and has started to eat. Silently I sit down on my chair, not daring to look at Jack. Keeping my focus on the food that I dish up on my plate. Mum is watching me carefully, obviously noticing that something is wrong and I think she might have understood that I am not actually sick. Being the great mum she is though, she keeps quiet. Saving the questions for later.

Once the food is one my plate, I start to eat, quickly. I am literally shovelling down the food, just wanting to get out of there. It is kind of hard though, consider the fact that I am not actually hungry. Truthfully I feel a bit nauseous and my head is still aching.

Mum clears her throat. "So, how was school?" She asks and looks between Jack and me.

I pause my shovelling to look at her, careful not to look in Jack's direction. Taking a sip of my water, I wait for Jack to answer the questions. It is always me who does it otherwise, so now I am giving him the opportunity to share his day. The one he spent shoving his tongue down some girl's throat.

The more I think about it, the angrier I get. Especially at myself because most of the anger is directed towards the girl and it is mixed with jealousy. It should be directed at Jack if anything and not the girl, she can't help that Jack used his charms on her. What pisses me off the most is that I react so strongly to Jack's behaviour. I knew what type guy he was from the start, so why do I care so much?

"Well?" Mum urges when no one of us answers. Remorsefully, I turn my gaze to look at Jack, raising my brows expectantly at him. He just frowns at me in return, for what reason I don't know.

"It was the same as always." I mutter when Jack continues to look oddly at me.

It is disturbing and I don't understand why he does it. Maybe it is my red eyes.

"The same as always? What is that?" Mum continues and I start to get annoyed.

"I don't know, good I guess?" I snap at her with a frown. Mum blinks a couple of times and then her lips sets into a grim line.

"Sorry." I mutter before she can start scolding me about my behaviour. I glance quickly at Jack and he is still looking at me in that weird way. It is as if he is seeing me for the first time properly.