Chapter 34

Jack
"Hello?"

Karen enters the house and shuts the door behind her.

"Hi." I call out from the living room, keeping my focus on the screen.

"Hey, Jack, how are you?" She steps into the living room and I tear my eyes from the TV to Karen.

"I am good." Shrugging, I give her a small smile. Truth is I am not good. Sarah hasn't come down yet and it has been two hours. Now I will have no chance of talking to her while Karen is around.

"Okay, that's good. Where is Sarah?"

"In her room." I mutter, hoping for the conversation to end.

"Is she studying?"

"I don't know." I frown annoyed at her.

"Okay, well dinner will be ready in an hour." She informs and then heads up the stairs.

"Sarah?" I hear her call out.

Maybe she will finally open the goddamn door? Curiosity hits me. I arise from the sofa and walk casually up the stairs towards my room. Once I reach the second floor, I see Karen stand in the door opening with a concerned look on her face.

"You are not feeling well?" She asks concerned, as I get closer, getting ready to sneak a peak at Sarah.

"You surely don't look well, sweetie, maybe you should go back to bed? Shall I get you anything? A cup of tea?"

I don't hear Sarah's answer, but Karen suddenly turns around and starts walking towards me. Quickly I pass her to get a glance at Sarah before she closes her door. Instantly regretting it when I see her face. Her eyes are red and puffy from crying, she looks exhausted. Her eyes widens when they see me and she gives me an insecure look. Not knowing what to do, I just keep on walking and head into my room. Bumping the back of my head heavily against the door, I close my eyes and try to ignore the shitty feeling I have of being the biggest jerk on the planet.

I have fucked up big time and have no idea of how to set things straight.

"Fuck." I land in my bed with a bump and cross my arms over my head, shutting my eyelids. I want to just ignore this. I don't want to care, why the hell do I care?

All I can see is Sarah's hurt face dancing behind my eyelids and therefore I quickly open them again. I could always ask for advice. Right cause I am a fucking wimp. With gritted teeth, I ignore my subconscious and pick up my phone. Dialling Cameron's number, it beeps two times before she picks up.

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's Jack."

"Hey, snookums, what's going on?" Cameron immediately changes from cautious to relaxed when she hears my voice.

I hold my breath before I answer, knowing that she will mock me like hell. "I have a problem."

"I am not getting into any illegal shit with you Jack-."

"It is not something like that." I interrupt her quickly.

"Oh yeah? Because that is usually the only problems you have, or well, the only problems that you will admit."

Annoyance sweep through me, this is not what I called for. "Shut up Cameron." I growl at her.

"Jeez, calm down. Do you want my help or not?"

"What makes you think that I am asking for it?" My voice is icily.

"Why else would you call?"

"Maybe I just want to hear your voice?" I say sweetly into the phone, my voice dripping with sarcasm.