Chapter 89

Sarah

I awake to someone touching my hair and blink a couple of times before I realise where I am. Once I do, I sit up straight and meet a pair of dark eyes watching me.

"You're awake." I say in one breath and stare into those beautiful eyes. How I have missed looking into those eyes, it feels like ages ago and not hours.

"You're here." Jack comments with a thick voice and he seems to have hard time focusing correctly on me. Which is understandable since he's high on morphine for his pain.

"Of course I'm here." I tell him, moving closer and taking his hand.

Jack only stares dumbfounded at his hand being held in mine and I give it light squeeze to reassure him that everything is okay. This only makes him raise his gaze and stare at me quizzically.

"Why are you here?" He asks absent minded, a frown creeping onto his face and I feel myself go still.

"Because I care about you." I say stiff.

Doesn't he want me here?

Jack keeps silent and looks at me under heavy eyelids. He blinks a couple of times and swallow hard.

"Can I get some water?" He asks, his voice sounding thicker at the moment.

"Of course!" I say in a haste and realise I should probably call for a nurse. I press down the button which do so and a moment later a nurse enters the room.

"Ah, you're awake." She says when see Jack sitting upright, looking at her.

"I am." Jack notes drowsily and frown yet again. "Who are you?"

"Well my name is Jenny and I work as a nurse here at St. Gertrude's." She explains and Jack's frown becomes deeper. "And now it's time to check up on you."

I arise from my seat and let go of Jack's hand, to give the nurse space to do her job. Jack grasps my hand tightly as I try to break free and his worried eyes meet mine.

"It's ok." I say softly and carefully pry his fingers off my hand.

Jack looks alarmed, but has no other choice than to lean back against the cushions and let the nurse do her work.

I stand quietly and observe as she looks at the monitors to see Jack's values. And then as she grab ahold of Jack's arm to check his blood pressure. I shiver as I look at the needle stuck to his arm. The nurse is quick and soon enough she's done with Jack.

"Sorry, could we get some water as well?" I ask before she leaves and she promises to bring a bottle.

I thank her and then take my seat by the hospital bed again. All this time Jack has kept his eyes on me, watching me closely, and it makes me feel rather uncomfortable. Why is he looking at me as if though he's seen a ghost?

It doesn't take long for the nurse to come back with Jack's water and he gulps it down in one go. Then he clears his throat and turn to me once more. This time, however, he grasps my hands tightly and brings me as close to him as possible.

"I'm so sorry." He lets out with a raspy voice and looks at me in horror. Completely taken aback I stare at him and blink a couple of times before remembering how to talk.

"What?" I stutter in confusion, but Jack barely hears me.

"I'm so sorry for everything. I never meant for you to get hurt, I didn't think things would turn out the way they did. I never thought..." He lets out in a rush but his voice fails him.