Chapter 77

Sarah

I've been hiding at Sam's the last couple of days. After that dreadful dinner with Jack I had to get out of the house. He kept looking at me and I nearly died of discomfort. Hence I've been at Sam's house since Monday evening.

Mum found it a bit odd that we suddenly decided for a two day sleepover at 9 PM. However she's not stupid and realize that something has happened between Jack and I. I tried to act like things weren't worse than usual, but Jack's staring made it pretty obvious. He could might as well have worn a  blinking sign saying "I AM AN IDIOT".

Sam hasn't interrogated me about what's going on, but he's dying to ask I can see it on him. I really should tell him, since he's kind enough to let me stay with him and his family until Christmas. Which is not even a week away.

That's another fact I haven't told mum, she believes I'm only staying with Sam until we go on or holidays, which is today. But I am planning on keeping away from Jack as long as possible and that's until Christmas.

"Are you ready to go?" Sam asks, standing in front of his full body mirror buttoning his shirt. He always does this whenever it's the end of a term. Dresses up that is. Unlike him I'm wearing a plain, deep blue blouse and black jeans.

"Why do you always have to look so fancy?" I question, almost accusing, with a raised brow. I watch his reflection from my position on his bed.

"Because I have class." He says like a complete snob and I snort.

"Bullshit. Who do you even dress up for? There's no boys at school that you have any interest in." I point out and meet Sam's expression in the mirror. "Well, any boys with the possibility of a mutual feeling." I add and he shrugs.

"Well I like to look good, simple as that."

"And I like to be practical." I say standing up and walk over to him. From my wrist I take a hair band and am about to tie my hair up in a ponytail when Sam stops me. His long fingers wrap around my upper arm.

"If you insist on keeping that beautiful hair of yours up, then at least let me do something prettier than a ponytail." He reads my mind and take the hairband from me. "Sit." He orders and I take a seat on his bed. In silence he starts braiding my hair and I stare at my pale hands.

Life would be so much easier if Sam wasn't gay and could be a potential love interest. He could take Jack's place in my heart and I wouldn't be in the miserable state I am in now. Sam is everything Jack isn't, he's kind, loving and actually cares about me. Jack is nothing but selfish, rude and narrow minded.

My hands instantly balls into fists as I think of Jack and my jaw clenches. However my furious thoughts are interrupted by Sam's angelic voice.

"Ta-daa!" He chants and marvel at his work.

I blink a couple of times and then come back to reality. Walking up to the mirror my eyes broaden at the sight of my hair. It is braided and twisted into some kind of impossible knot. My brain gets fried just staring at the damn thing.

"Sam!" I cry out and he shines with pride from behind me. "It looks like something suitable for a funeral." I say in horror and Sam's expression falls.

"Oh stop it, it's beautiful. Be grateful for once." He scolds me and seem almost hurt by my comment. I turn around quickly and take his hands in mine.

"I didn't say it's not beautiful and I'm very grateful for you taking your time with me." I tell him honestly and then hesitate for a moment. "It's just... Well I kind of look like a grandma, don't you think?" I squint my eyes closed and get ready for a tantrum a la Sam, but it never comes.