Chapter 381-385

Chapter 381

"Since we have these, let's have a Layered Hotpot for dinner tonight."

In front of me were some very splendid-looking Chinese cabbages with bright green leaves and strong white stems. They were also heavier than they looked, a good indicator of their quality.

These were grown by Alban in a field behind the main house.

Alban said, "We grew this leaf vegetable from some of the seeds provided by Mukouda-san. It's very delicious, we all enjoyed it very much."

I really can't recall what kind of seeds I had given to Alban. Cabbage most probably, and lettuce too, I must have included Chinese Cabbage seeds when shopping at [Net Super] without thinking too much about it. [5]

Anyway, they were growing very nicely in the field

In short, Chinese Cabbage was just perfect since I wanted to make something for everyone with Dungeon Pork or Beef and a Layered Hotpot is just the thing. It's basically a hotpot with a twist, or layered. Everyone's already familiar with hotpot [5], this is just a slightly different way of enjoying hotpot.

Right, let's get the ladies to help me prepare this dish.

Please read this at kitchennovel dot com ~

"Big Brother Mukouda, is this alright?"

"Yes, yes, very good, very good!"

Lotte-chan grinned [5].

[9]

The Layered Hotpot, otherwise more well known by its more romantic name, the Mille-feuille Hotpot, consisted of layering thinly sliced meat and Chinese Cabbage, stuffing the pot full until it looked like a large flower when viewed from the top.

First, the larger, more even pieces of the Chinese Cabbage leaves were taken apart and layered so that meat slices and vegetable leaves alternate, kind of like making a meat and vegetable Mille-feuille or lasagne.

Next, slice the meat and vegetable layers into 3 inches long. These would make up the outer part of the 'petals'

The core of the Chinese Cabbage, would form the unopened 'bud'. I wrapped the short, almost tube-like core with meat, wrapped that in more leaves, then meat, followed by leaves... until the core was a little too large for my hands.

I then carefully set the core in the middle of the claypot and slowly surrounded it with the sliced meat and cabbage layers we had prepared earlier.

The idea is to fully stuff the claypot so that none of the layers would collapse during the cooking process.

Lotte-chan had a lot of fun putting these meat and cabbage 'flowers' together.

Alternatively, the centre could be stuffed with other things like mushrooms, tofu or even cooked pork ribs to make it more interesting. However, since we have plenty of excellent meat and Chinese Cabbage, it's fine to just make the Layered Hotpot with meat and Cabbage.

Once the pots were fully stuffed, pour in the soup stock, just enough to submerge the meat and cabbage 'flowers' and let it simmer until the vegetables have softened. The meat was finely sliced and would cook through quickly enough.

Sponsored Content

[9] [9]

[8] The best way to eat this Layered Hotpot is with your favourite hotpot sauce. Personally, I like both the ponzu and sesame sauce. [6] The ponzu sauce is basically just rice vinegar and maybe some citrus juice with equal amounts of soy sauce. It could be garnished with sesame seeds or sliced leeks. Sesame sauce is creamier and richer, made from finely ground sesame seeds, as well as other ingredients such as mayonnaise and little toasted sesame seeds on top.