Chapter 71-75

Ch 71 — Oh Lord How The Money Rolls In

We went straight to the Adventurers Guild as soon as we returned to the city. When I handed over my Guild card at the reception I was immediately shown to the Guild Master's room.

"Congratulations." he said, welcoming us back. "I'm really sorry I asked you to subjugate the Metal Lizard so quickly."

Well, it wasn't me that carried out the subjugation, it was Fer of course. And it only took a single magic strike. Oh, and it wasn't a Metal Lizard after all. I should really tell the Guild Master about this...

"Well, we subjugated it OK, but it turns out wasn't a Metal Lizard after all."

"It wasn't a Metal Lizard?" The Guild Master looked perplexed.

"That's right, it was a Mithril Lizard instead."

"............ What did you say just now?"

"Eh? I said it was a Mithril Lizard there."

"A Mi-, Mi-, Mithril Lizard!?" The Guild Master stood up and yelled at the top of his lungs.

Please, Guild Master-sama, calm down. He sat back down after a moment, obviously thinking hard about what I had said.

"If what you say is true," he waved his hand, "I believe you of course but-" he furrowed his brows. "It means that there is mithril ore in that area. That's supremely important. Anyway, I need to see that Mithril Lizard first."

Because the Mithril Lizard is a large monster we went down into the warehouse for the Guild Master to inspect it properly.

"Oh, Johan, sorry to bother you."

"Ah, Guild Master." The bald ojisan squinted at Fer and me. "And its you guys again?"

"Johan, please close the door." the Guild Master ordered. Johan quickly closed the warehouse door.

"So have you brought me something interesting this time too?" Johan was obviously intrigued. Well, it wasn't supposed to be special but it's what we were asked to subjugate.

"So, can I get it out now?" The Guild Master nodded so I took the Mithril Lizard out of the Item Box.

"" ............ "" The Guild Master and Johan-ojisan were struck dumb for a long moment.

"Ah, that ... ...."

"No doubt about it, right ..."

"Oh yeah, it's got to be a Mithril Lizard, look at the way the skin gleams." Johan said in a reverent whisper.

Huh? Is a Mithril Lizard really that rare?

"I thought that it was a Metal Lizard at first, but this is definitely a Mithril Lizard ..." the Guild Master went on to explain.

"When it was first observed near Pasquale Mountain it maybe was still a Metal Lizard. The citizens who saw it and reported it as such didn't get close enough to it to see it clearly since they were too busy running away, and there weren't any Adventurers willing to even go and check it out for us." He waved his hand at Fer. "We definitely didn't have Adventurers of high enough rank who could actually hope to subjugate a Metal Lizard so it was left alone for the time being. Since then it might have found a vein of mithril ore, ate it and mutated into Mithril Lizard form."

"That's probably what happened." Johan agreed. They both sighed, then turned to stare at me.

Eh, what?

"The monsters your contracted beast brings in never fails to surprise us." The Guild Master shook his head.

"It's true, only the finest top-ranked monsters from fairy tales." Johan-ojisan chimed in. I still looked puzzled so he continued.