Life Still goes On

Kira's POV

Today was the day we laid our mom to rest. Mom's whole department stood beside us along with Dad's Fire House. Fire Trucks lined up on one side of the street while police cars line up on the other.

We took separate vehicles to the funeral. Dad drove his truck with Liam and Carter while Dylan drove his truck with Anna and I. I can speak for my family and how they are feeling but to me everything felt like it stopped. I felt nothing but pain, sitting in the car I watched each Truck go by and the line of officers and fire fighters. I watch with just a blank stare as we passed. Everything else was still moving, people, cars, the world it all continued to move but for me my body was here in the car but my mind was still at our house holding my mom.

We came to a stop and got out, it felt weird being here, everyone coming up to us a tell us how wonderful our mom was as if we didn't already know that. Mom's best friend and partner had come up to us to console us she didn't say anything instead she just hugged us. She knew there was nothing she or anyone else could have done or even do to bring her back.

We all walked around seeing the pictures we gave to be used at mom's funeral. One board showed mom in her blues after she was officially named a Sargent. Under the picture was moms full name. 'Valerie Ann Harper Sanchez'.

"Sergeant Valerie was as we all know an amazing woman, wife, and mother. She died protecting the people she loved most. In her passing she left behind her husband Anthony Ryan Sanchez and their five loving children Dylan Robert Sanchez (20), Liam Edward Sanchez (18), Carter William Sanchez (18), Kira Lee Sanchez (16), and Anna May Sanchez (14)...May she now rest in peace."

*two weeks after the funeral*

Dylan's POV

I had gone back to work a couple days before my father. I was currently stationed at Fire House 51. When I walked in everyone greeted me like any normal day. I swear Lieutenant Casey still walks on some eggshells around me. He and everyone else has been there for me through all of this. I had been talking to the Fire Chaplin about what happened since the funeral and occasionally I brought Kira with me.

We made it through half of shift with our normal calls and by morning Cruz came by with Kira at his side. She had told me she might come back to hang out at the Fire House. She hadn't been the same since mom died but then can you blame her, none of us had been the same.

"Thanks" I said to Cruz as he turned to leave, he raised his hand and gave me a thumbs up and walked out. I hugged my sister like I always would but she just stood there. "Hey talk to me please. You can't just go around bottling everything up. Mom wouldn't want to see you like this and you know that." I held her shoulders and sat her down on the bed. She raised her head to face me but she was always looking off at something else.

Squad 3, Truck 81, Ambo 61 building collapse

I patted her shoulder then ran out to gear up.

Kira's POV

I watched Dylan run out and I got up and slowly followed after him at least till I stopped at the common room. I watched as everyone loaded up and drove away. "Kira! Hey how are you? How's the family?" I heard someone ask.

"Chief!" I said turning around with somewhat of a fake smile. He came up and hugged me then guided me in. "I can't really stay I just wanted to swing by for a couple minutes." I said letting my smile fade away. He laid his hand on my shoulder, "If you ever want to talk I'm here kid, day or night your can text or call me, I'll be here." I smiled at him and nodded, we all knew we could talk to anyone at 51 or 62.

When I heard the rigs pull back in I quickly stood up and grabbed my things and headed for the door. Everyone had just gotten out and were taking their gear off. When Dylan finished I was already walking towards the door and out into the cold winter air.

Anthony's POV

I watched as all my kids handled Valerie's death in their own way. Liam, Carter, and Anna were affected but not in the same way as the other two. They still talked to each other and sometimes kept to themselves but you could tell they were handling it as well as they possibly could. Dylan he was willing to talk and in general more open to others about everything that happened. Kira on there other hand hasn't spoken to anyone. Dylan and I both have taken her to the Chaplin but she still acts and just looks distant.

Over the last week I've caught her sneaking out late about 10-11 and not coming back home till around 3 in the morning. I've questioned it slightly but have usually been letting it slide. "Kira?" I said as the door opened, "Where have you been? You've been out all night." I honestly was getting tired of it and wanted to know what she had been doing. To my surprise she stopped and looked at me then headed up the stairs. I sighed then started to raise my voice, "Kira Lee...!!" I stopped when she slowly came back down followed by Anna.

"No need to yell I was just setting my stuff in my room" She said softly. She sat down beside Anna, "Anyway I went over to 51 and hung out there for a bit. I was going to talk to Dawson or Shay but they went out on a call so...ya..." She smiled up at me then got up and walked out.