○3

DELINQUENT- MARK'S SIDE OF THE STORY

Mark was ten years old when he first saw Donghyuck. He was propped up on the window seal with his guitar, practicing some new lessons that he learned earlier that day.

An expensive looking car with shiny tinted windows zoomed past his gate and stopped in front of the opposite house. Being a curious cat, Mark leaned forward to have a better look.

A man and a woman got down from the car before they walked up to the front porch and pressed the doorbell. An old woman followed by her husband came out to greet them. Mark recognized them as Mr. and Mrs. Lee, two of the oldest residents. The old couple made their living by running a small dairy farm. They didn’t make much money but was content with their life.

Mark found it odd however. Usually the countryside seldom gets such rich looking visitors. Moreover, what do they have to do with the old couple? By the looks, Mark could make out that the couple wasn’t having a happy interaction with the visitors.

Mark’s eyes followed the fast retreating figure of the rich man, who carelessly opened the door of the car. He asked someone to come out, before proceeding to sit on the driver’s seat. The rich woman, who Mark presumed as the wife of the arrogant looking man, also followed him to the car.

A boy of his age came out with a small bag pack. Even though Mark was at a considerable distance, he could see the cried out face of the boy. But what caught him off the guard was how the boy quickly changed his expression at the sight of the old couple. As if his sad world turned upside down, he smiled and giggled and made a run for them. Mark could hear his excited voice calling “Grandpa and Grandma” clearly. He never knew that the couple had family members living outside the village.

Then things started to make sense to Mark.

Like thousands of other people around the world, this old couple was probably left behind by their children who chose to go to cities for a better life. Having life and career in some flourishing city is definitely not a bad choice but forgetting those who probably had their backs is a bad thing.

Mark looked at the house for the last time to see the young boy being engulfed by his grandparents with hugs and kisses along with tears and smiles.

That night Mark slept with the memory of a certain beautiful boy. Unconsciously Mark smiled, wishing to meet him and possibly make a new friend.

As if his wish was heard, the sweet story of Mark and Donghyuck began.

Soon Mark learned Donghyuck’s name when the latter took admission in his school. As if fate was pulling them closer, Donghyuck walked into the same class as him and ended up being his seatmate. As days passed into years, their friendship blossomed. From frequent visits, study and project works at each other’s houses, Mark even started to help the old couple in their farm.

At first his motive was to spend time with Donghyuck but gradually he genuinely started to build interest in the work. He liked spending time with his grandparents. They treated him like their own.

When Mark and Donghyuck turned sixteen, things between then started to escalate from just friendship to something more. Both of them already knew that they always had room for something bigger but things took sweet time to develop.

They had their first kiss under the night sky as they were sprawled on the meadows. Mark swore that he would do anything just to have this boy in his arms forever and beyond.