○16

Part- 6

THE DAY OF COMPETITION

Donghyuck couldn’t stop laughing at the flyer as he is getting his hair and makeup done for the play

Donghyuck couldn’t stop laughing at the flyer as he is getting his hair and makeup done for the play. Mark who is sitting there getting ready for his solo read each word aloud, which made it funnier.

“Donghyuck, the play is starting in fifteen minutes. Mr. Jin has asked for everyone to gather backstage.” A boy named Kevin poked his head in through the crack of the door before running off.

“All the best Hyuckie. You can do it.” Mark hugged the nervous boy tight.

After mouthing a small thankyou and planting a shy kiss on Mark’s blushing cheek, Donghyuck ran off.

Donghyuck’s performance was phenomenal. He surely deserves the title of the nightingale. His honey-like smooth voice, perfect emotions with each note and graceful flow of fingertips on the grand piano made Mark feel goosebumps, to the point that a fellow student named Johnny Suh took it upon himself to bring a shawl for Mark.

“Poor kid.” He mumbled before wrapping Mark like a burrito.

For the rest of the play, Mark stayed like that.

Until someone had to interrupt from amongst the crowd.

“WOW, SUCH AN AUDACITY TO STAND ON THE STAGE AFTER RUINING MY WHOLE LIFE HUH?LEE DONGHYUCK  OR SHOULD I CALL YOU LEE HAECHAN?”

There was an agitated Jinsol, towering like a single flamingo among swans.

Silence....a complete pin-drop silence in the auditorium. The play ceased long ago.

Then it followed....the commotion and chaos, made-up theories and insults. Murmurs about familiarity with the name turned into grumbles about his identity, they turned into blames, shouts, comments, and snickers about what he did.

People started calling him names, very bad ones. They were screaming at the school authority to take him away and ban him from performing, much to Jinsol’s pleasure who stood there with an innocent smile and victimized expression on his face.

But his eyes?

They looked at Donghyuck as if he was some kind of prey.

Mark knew it is painful but he is proud of how Donghyuck stood his ground amidst the shower of mean statements and profanities.  The boy was on the verge of crying when the members of the drama club escorted him back. He could see that but it wasn’t the time to think about it.