Chapter 2

Lucy POV

I was leaning on the kitchen counter, talking to Mike while he was preparing pancake batter in case we had customers.

“I am so glad that school is over.” Mike sighed. “I couldn’t stand being there any longer.”

I chuckled. “It’s not that bad.”

Mike looked at me and raised an eyebrow. “Maybe when you are a brainiac.”

“I am not a brainiac.” I smiled. “I just like learning new stuff.”

I have a good reason to. My living situation is not the best. I’m living with my stepfather, Jack, who can be a little bit mean from time to time. My mom died when I was 10 years old, and my stepfather was kind enough to take me in. I don’t have any other family, so I should be grateful to him. I could have ended up on the streets or in foster care, moving from one home to another. Some of those homes could be even worse than the home I have with Jack.

Jack loves to drink. I saw him taking drugs a couple of times, but I don’t think he does it often. When he gets drunk, he can get abusive. But there are times when he gets drunk and falls asleep. So I can’t really say he hits me every time he drinks. It could be worse. I could be living with a person who would hit me all the time.

Jack’s friends are a different story. They hit me every time they come to the house. I try my best to avoid them. When they come to the house, I make sure I am extra quiet. I usually take one of my favorite books and read it in my closet.

I am really small for my age, so I fit inside a closet easily. I don’t know if that is genetics or poor nutrition. My mom couldn’t afford much when I was a kid. She also loved to drink, so most of her money went on beer and hard liquor. It is the same now with Jack. He has a part-time job as a janitor at our elementary school, but he mostly drinks his paychecks away. I got this job at the diner to help pay for our utilities and buy food. I try to go for healthier options, but it is hard when your resources are limited.

I don’t know what happened to my dad. My mom said he didn’t want me. She said he threw us out of the house when I was two years old. My mom said she didn’t have any other children, so I don’t even have siblings.

I used to wish I did. I wished so much that I had four imaginary brothers. I’ve named them Bubba, Bear, Grumpy, and Smiley. I really don’t know how I came up with those names, but those four were always by my side until I was about 6 years old. When they left, I begged my mom to bring them back, but she said that she couldn’t. She said that they were imaginary. Later on, I found out that kids sometimes do have imaginary friends. It just so happens I had four.

Maybe I imagined them because I was lonely. My mom worked a lot, and when she didn’t, she was drunk. She didn’t really spend that much time with me. I sometimes miss my imaginary brothers. They were the best. Bear gave the best hugs. Grumpy was always by my side, and he would never let go of me. Smiley made me laugh all the time, and Bubba was so caring. I wish they were real.

“Lucy!” I heard my name being called.

I snapped out of my thoughts and looked at Mike. He was waving his hand in front of my face.

“What?” I asked, grabbing his hand and stopping him.

“I asked if you wanted a pancake.” Mike said as he continued cooking. “Where did you go just now?”

“Just thinking.” I shrugged.

I pulled on the sleeve of the black shirt I was wearing, pushing it down. There is a nasty bruise on my arm. Jack grabbed me pretty hard the other day, and the bruise is really ugly. I have to be careful and not let anyone see.

Nobody knows about the abuse, and nobody will ever know. I will leave for college soon, and I will leave all of this behind me.

I will miss Mike, though. He has become my best friend. His dream is to become a famous chef. I think he will make it. His cooking is amazing. Our diner is old and needs a complete make-over, but the food Mike makes is amazing. People come here all the time to try Mike’s cooking. Everything he makes is delicious.

“Lucy?” I heard my name again.

I looked up at Mike. He had a worried look on his face.

“Are you okay?” he asked, stepping closer to me. “I’ve been calling you again.”

“I am sorry.” I smiled. “I’m just distracted. Everything is okay.”

Mike opened his mouth to speak, but we were interrupted when the door opened. I peeked from the kitchen and saw four men enter the diner. They were looking around with suspicion. Most of the people who come in here for the first time do.

“We have new customers.” I told him. “They look suspicious.”

“They always do.” Mike chuckled.

I stepped out of the kitchen and saw them take a seat at one of our booths. I turned back around to grab a pen and my little notebook so I could take their order.

As I was walking over to them, I couldn’t help but think they looked familiar. They kind of looked like my imaginary friends. I shook my head. They were imaginary. I am being ridiculous. I am sure they seem familiar because they are boys. There are four of them, and I was just thinking about my imaginary brothers, so I am still under the influence of my thoughts.

I walked over to the table with a smile on my face. One of the boys was looking at his phone. Two older ones were staring through the window, and the fourth boy was looking around the diner.

“Good morning and welcome to Rosie’s diner.” I said. “May I take your order?”

The boys looked up at me. Their eyes widened. One of them gasped loudly.

What’s wrong? Do I have something on my face?