Chapter 33

Lucy POV

I was a nervous wreck.

I couldn’t stop the thoughts from running through my mind.

What if she doesn’t like me?

What if I’m not good enough?

What if I do something wrong?

What if she starts to hate me?

I’ve never had a girl friend before. There were a few girls in my old school who I did some projects and assignments with, but we were never friends. We were friendly, but we never did the things girl friends do.

I only had Mike.

And it’s not like we got to do normal friend things, either. Jack would never allow it. I spent time with Mike in school or at the diner.

I had no idea what to do.

I’ve never been to a mall before. I’ve never gone to see a movie with a friend before. I’ve never had a sleepover. I’ve never gossiped. I’ve never done any of the things I saw girl friends do in all the movies I’ve watched since I came to live with my brothers.

I was clueless and terrified.

“What’s wrong?” Noah asked me, placing his hand on my thigh and stopping my leg from bouncing up and down.

Theo’s eyes immediately snapped to me. He eyed me up and down, searching for injuries.

“Lucy?” Theo called me nervously when he didn’t find a physical injury.

“I’m nervous.” I mumbled, staring at the direction Ethan, Aiden, and Riley were supposed to come from.

“Why?” Noah asked, removing a strand of hair from my face.

I bit my lip nervously. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to share my problem with them. I was probably overreacting anyway.

“Lucy?” Theo called me again, placing his hand on my face and turning my head so I could look at him. “What’s wrong?”

“I’ve never had a friend before.” I said quietly.

Theo’s eyebrows furrowed. “What?”

“I’ve never had a friend before.” I repeated it a little bit louder.

I looked around nervously, but it was just us. Reece was standing not far from where we were sitting, but, otherwise, the park was empty.

Ethan and Aiden suggested we meet at the local mall, but Theo thought it was too dangerous. I was actually glad. I didn’t feel ready to go to a huge crowd.

“What about Mike?” Noah asked, making me turn my head and look at him.

“Mike is not a girl.” I said. “And we never did the things I saw friends do in the movies. Jack wouldn’t let me.”

Noah’s eyes hardened and Theo’s grip on my arm tightened when they heard Jack’s name.

“Don’t worry, Sunshine.” Noah said after a few moments of silence. “We will be right here with you through everything. You are not alone. You will learn as you go.”

“But what if she doesn’t like me?” I asked, whispering. “What if she thinks I’m weird or hates me? I’ve never been to a mall before. I don’t know half the stuff a girl is supposed to know. For example, I don’t know how to put mascara on. I’ve seen girls do it in the movies, but I would just poke my eye out if I tried, and then I would be the weird girl with only one eye and everybody would laugh at me and...”