Chapter 5

Theo POV

“I need you to calm down, Theo.” Liam said quietly when that fucker dragged my sister away from our table.

Who the fuck does he think he is? Who the fuck gave him the right to take her hand? I will kill him.

I snapped my head toward Liam. “Calm down? How the fuck do you expect me to calm down?! He took her away!”

“Firstly, do not speak to me like that.” Liam said with a calm but deadly tone. “Secondly, he didn’t take her away. She is right there.”

“We need to be smart about this, Theo.” Ezra said, before I could continue arguing with Liam. “I know you want to grab her and never let go, but we can’t do that.”

“Why the fuck not?” I asked, slamming my fist on the table. “She is my sister. She belongs with me!”

Noah grabbed my hand and my eyes snapped to him. That was the first time I looked at him since we saw her. His usual smile was gone. His eyes were filled with unshed tears, and he looked like he was in pain. My heart clenched painfully.

“I know it’s hard, Theo.” Noah said quietly. “I want her to be with us as much as you do, but we need to do this the right way.”

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. Noah is right. I know he is. It’s hard. I’ve waited for this moment for the past 10 years. I imagined how I would hug her, hold her, and never let go of her again.

What I didn’t imagine was her not remembering us. I didn’t think that she would be right next to me, and I can’t do shit about it.

“What is the right way?” I mumbled quietly after a few moments.

Liam placed his hand around my shoulders and pulled me to him. I opened my eyes and looked at Noah. He gave me a small smile. He is the only one who can calm me down right now.

“I already texted Jason and told him to find out everything he can about her.” Liam said. “I want to become her legal guardian. I will fight our mother on this as hard as I have to.”

Jason is our family lawyer. He used to work for my father.

“We should do a DNA test as well.” Ezra said.

My eyebrows furrowed. “Why? It’s her.”

Ezra opened his mouth to speak, but he stopped when we heard the door of the diner opening. A middle-aged man walked inside. He looked dirty and drunk as fuck. I could smell alcohol on him. I frowned in disgust and looked back at Ezra.

“I know it’s her.” Ezra said quietly. “But we still need to be sure. What if it’s not her? What if she is still out there waiting for us to find her?”

My heart clenched painfully. Just the thought of my sister waiting for me, afraid and alone, made me want to throw up.

But this girl right here is my Lucy. I am sure of it. I don’t need a fucking test to tell me that.

“How are we…” Noah started to speak, but he was interrupted when that disgusting man spoke.

“Lucy!” he yelled.

I clenched my fists and narrowed my eyes. How the fuck does he know her name? Why the fuck is he calling her?

My brothers were also looking at him with narrowed eyes. He looked like trouble.

“Lucy Smith!” he yelled again.

Smith? Her last name is Smith? So our bitch of a mother remarried? Or did she just change their last name so we wouldn’t find them?

I saw Liam picking up his phone and typing. I’m assuming he is texting Jason and informing him about her last name.

She walked out of the kitchen and walked toward the fucker.

“Yes, dad?” I heard her speak.

Dad?

What the fuck?!

I looked at Liam, who looked as shocked as I was.

This drunk is her father?!

I saw Noah clench his fists. Ezra looked like he was sick. Liam looked murderous.

I looked back at my sister. She was speaking with her “father”, but they were whispering, so we couldn’t hear what they were talking about.

The man drank his coffee in one sip and placed his mug on the counter.

“I will see you back home.” he told her.

He got up and walked out of the diner.

Lucy sighed and picked up his mug. She walked back to the kitchen.

“I don’t like him.” Ezra said.

“That is just one more reason to grab her and take her with us.” I said, crossing my arms over my chest.

“Theo.” Liam said in a warning tone.

I rolled my eyes and looked back at the kitchen entrance. I want her to come out. I want to see her again.

“How do we get her DNA sample?” Noah asked Ezra.

“When Jason finds out what we need, we will sit down with her and tell her the truth.” Liam answered. “We will have to ask her to give us the sample.”

“She doesn’t remember us.” Noah mumbled.

He sounded broken, and it made my heart clench painfully. I took his hand in mine and he gave me a grateful look.

“She was only six when that bitch took her.” Liam sighed. “We don’t know what she had told her about us.”

The door to the kitchen opened and she walked out. She turned to look at us. Her smile turned into a frown when she noticed the untouched food at the table.

She walked over to us. “Is everything okay with the food? Would you like something else?”

She was standing so close to me. If I just moved my hand a little, I could touch her. I could pull her to me and hold her. She smelled like strawberries. I wonder if that is still her favorite fruit.

“Don’t worry, honey.” Ezra smiled at her. “We were just talking, and we completely forgot about the food. Everything is great. Thank you.”

“Okay.” she smiled back. “I will be in the kitchen if you need anything.”

Ezra nodded, and she walked away.

If Noah hadn’t grabbed my hand, I would have followed her this time.

Waiting to tell her will be torture.