Link

"Do you. . . really remember me?" Zelda asked. Mud coated her white dress and face. Only a moment ago, she sealed away Calamity Ganon, the most evil thing to ever live. But all she wanted was for Link to remember her.

    He did. Link remembered everything about her, about what happened 100 years ago, before he was put in the Shrine of Resurrection. Link itched to run to Zelda, give her a bear hug, and whisper in her ear, "Yes. Yes I remember you." Then kiss her. Kiss her until the world righted itself.

    Instead, he nodded, dropping to one knee. That was the right thing to do - bow to his princess.

    "Oh, Link," Zelda pleaded. "Please stand."

    Link rose, finding Zelda's tear-streaked face, her glimmering green eyes. She took a tentative step foward. When he didn't show any sign distrust, she ran the rest of the way. Ignoring the blood and the weapons on his back, she wrapped her arms around him. She sobbed as Link dropped the Bow of Light and hugged her back.

    They sank to the ground. Link cradled Zelda in his arms, silent tears rolling down his cheeks. Zelda grabbed at his tunic, pulling herself closer.

    "I missed you so much," she whispered into the soft fabric. "I began to loose hope. And then. . . you woke up. After so long." Sobs racked her body.

    Link missed her, too. He missed her the more he remembered her. Missed the way she looked at him, the way her golden hair flowed down her body, the way she was determined to save her kingdom.

    Every day, he remembered more. Every day, he was more determined to save her.

    The moment was interrupted by a small growl. Link snapped his head up, reaching for the Master Sword on his back. He searched for the danger. The growl came again, but Zelda and Link were the only ones around.

    "That's me," came Zelda's voice. Link looked down at her. "I haven't had anything to eat for a hundred years." She gave a small laugh as her stomach growled again, wiping snot from her nose with the back of her arm.

    Letting go of the Master Sword, he stood. He helped Zelda up from the ground. She picked up the Bow of Light as they headed toward the castle.

    "Are there guardians still around the caslte?" Zelda asked.

    "I took out most of them," Link answered. "We'll have to run in some places." He wanted to walk beside her, to hold her hand, but he stayed a respectful distance away, as a knight should.

    Zelda nodded. She looked determined to make it passed all the guardians. Link was determined to protect her, no matter what.

    They made their way up the broken path of the castle, dodging behind pillars or walls when they needed to, running across open walkways when Link said to. It took a while, but they finally made it into Hyrule Caslte.

    Link led Zelda through the disheveled hallways, around the carnage, and away from the monsters, only fighting when he needed to. Eventually, they found themselves in the dining hall.

    Zelda went to her room after confirming with Link she would be safe to get a change of clothes. Link watched as she left. When Zelda dissapeared behind a corner, Link went to the kitchen to prepare a fresh meal for her. Maybe he would make some fruitcake as a surprise. Fruitcake was her favorite. He pulled the things he needed from the Sheikah Slate. That little thing held everything he could need. It was strange and cool at the same time.

    Once he was finished, he cleaned off plates and gathered the meal onto them. He carried the dish through the castle, taking it to Zelda. As he neared her room, he heard crying.

    Link pushed the door open all the way, finding Zelda on the floor, trying to stifle her tears. She hadn't changed, hadn't cleaned herself.

    Setting the plates on the dusty floor, he rushed to her side. Link reached out to hold her face with his hand, but stopped himself halfway. Zelda grabbed his hand, silencing her sobs. She looked into his eyes.

    "I can't loose anyone else," she whispered.

    "You won't," Link assured. Instead of wrapping an arm around her - like he wanted to do - he handed her a plate.

    Zelda took it from him. "Thank you." Link nodded as she dug into her meal.

    He sat across from her, slowly eating. A few moments of silence passed, full of thoughts and distant memories. Link kept glancing at the girl before him, wanting so badly to hug her and never let go. She was the one to guide him along his journey. She was the one to encourage him, give him strength. Although some parts of his past were still fuzzy, or just blank slates, he still found a way to love her. He loved her more than anything, and that's what fueled him to keep fighting. If it wasn't for the constant reminder of Zelda everywhere he went, he would have given up on destroying Ganon.

At first, when he could barely even remember his own name, all he wanted to do was run away and let someone who cared do his job. But then, regaining his memories, feeling like he owned the body his mind was in, he wanted to save her. He wanted to save her, and the people who helped him along the way. He wanted to be the Hero of Hyrule.

He was shaken from his thoughts when ground started rumbling. First, small trinkets bounced on the broken shelves. Dust particles fell from the rafters. As the earthquake grew, what was left of Zelda's room started shaking, things falling to the floor, some creating a thud, others shattering.

    "Link?" Zelda asked, fear in her eyes. She started taking short, shallow breaths.

    Determining it was an unexpected earthquake, Link put his hands on Zelda's arms, conveying that he would not leave her side and that everything was okay. She was already shaken and scared, and anything that could harm her would cause her to freeze or freak out, especially if it reminded her of her day Ganon attacked.

    A green dot appeared in the middle of the room, suspended in mid-air. Zelda grabbed Link's elbows, holding on tight, as the dot grew and grew. Soon, it was as tall as the room and started glowing. The bigger objects in the room moved closer to the green thing. Blue streaks moved from the outer rim of it to the center.

    Feeling it pulling on him, Link started sliding toward the thing. He looked back at Zelda. He couldn't let this thing separate them - if not for him, then for Zelda. His hands slipped as he was lifted into the air.

    "Link?" Zelda said, eyes wide as she took his hands, holding on tight. Grunting, she tried to pull him back down, but it was no use. She wasn't strong enough, and there was nothing for him to grab on to.

    The suction grew stronger, tugging on Link. One of his hands slipped out of Zelda's grasp. The pull grew even harder. Zelda used both her hands to hold onto his one, but he still slipped out of her hold and flew into the green thing.

    "Liiiink!"

     Zelda became smaller and smaller, her voice growing farther away.

    Soon, all Link could see were streaks of blue and green zooming by him. There was nothing else, just him amd an endless void. The wind screamed passed his ears, his hair wipped at him. All he could think about was Zelda, and what he would do to get back to her.

    Then he was thrown on the hard ground, surrounded by white. Hands grabbed at him, something sharp pricked his neck, and everything went black.