Zelda

Zelda slowly opened her eyes the next morning. She sat up on the ground, looking around for Link. He was gone. Zelda didn't remember falling asleep, but she gasped at recalling the hysterics and the physical touch she had with Link. She touched the side of her face where he had gently but firmly held her.

    Zelda lowered her hands, placing them on the ground next to her. Her fingers brushed a crisp piece of paper.

    Zelda picked up the little note left by Link. It simply said: Cooking breakfast.

    She sighed as she stood. Zelda made the bed, then peered over at Terrako. He still sat lifeless in the corner, and she didn't remember how to turn him back on. Zelda reached for the door handle. When she opened the door, she was met with Link, hand about to knock. Zelda blushed as she smiled upon seeing his masked face and hair pulled back.

    Link handed over a plate. Zelda excepted the offered omelet, sitting on the bed to eat. She patted the space next to her, hoping Link would eat with her. Link eased down on the other side if the bed, too far in Zelda's opinion.

    The two ate in silence, neither one bringing up what happened last night. Zelda stared at Terrako just to give her eyes something to focus on. After her final bite, her eyes slipped to Link's tapping foot. He was not one to always be moving, but whenever he was nervous - which was almost never - he would flex his fingers or bounce his legs. Maybe even tap his feet. Zelda wondered why he would be anxious.

    Her mind went to Poe, locked in the ice storage. They would be questioning him today, but Link was never worried before battle or during. He was always the prime example of calm and steady. So what could have him so nervous?

    Link stood, breaking Zelda's train of thought. He went into his room, strapping on his gear. He looked up at Zelda standing in her doorway. Zelda looked back at Terrako, biting the inside of her lip.

    Needing a distraction from the awkward staring, Zelda padded over to the machine, kneeling beside it. She turned Terrako over in her hands, searching for a way to turn him on.

    "Oh, come on, now, Terrako," she muttered.

    All of a sudden, the little sensor glowed blue. Terrako made a soft whistle, then a slightly louder one. His legs flexed, then supported his body. Terrako whooped up at Zelda.

    "There you are." She got to her feet as Terrako scurried around her. Zelda turned to find him bumping against Link's legs, sounding angry whistles.

    "Uh. . ." Link muttered. Terrako was trying to pinch his feet, continuesly failing as Link backed away. Zelda laughed at the two, brushing passed them and into the hallway.

    Zelda stepped into the square, already alive with people and music. She paused a few steps out of the inn. "How will we get to the ice storage?"

    "Sand-seal surfing," Link answered nonchalantly. He continued to the front entrance.

    "What?" Zelda asked, catching up with him.

    Link didn't stop or answer her question. Once outside the town, Zelda watched as he snuck up on a sand-seal and took hold of the rope connected to a harness. The seal tried to pull away, afraid, but Link held firm until the seal calmed down. He waved an arm, beckoning Zelda foward.

    Zelda slowly came to his side as he dropped a large shield onto the sand.

    "Put your feet here," Link instructed, showing where to stand on the shield.

    Zelda slowly stepped onto the shield. She wobbled, and Link caught her arm before she could fall face-first into the sand.

    "You can't leave without me!" Riju called, riding around the corner on her personal sand-seal. "Now hurry, before Buliara catches up. She's been breathing down my neck lately, and I want a few minutes away from her."

    Zelda smiled at the young girl, remembering how it felt to have Link follow her everywhere. Now she enjoyed his company.

    Link stepped onto the shield. "Uh. . . Hold on."

    Zelda hesitently wrapped her arms around his bare torso. Her heart fluttered.

    "Let's go!" Riju snapped the reins of her seal, and she was pulled by the creature swiftly through the sand.

    Link snapped the reins of their seal, and Zelda gasped at the sudden jolt of movement, clinging to him. She wanted to watch the dunes around her as they went, but sand stung her eyes. She hid her face in the crook of Link's neck as her hair whipped behind her. Terrako had grabbed onto the edge of the shield and was now being dragged through the sand.

    "Woooo!" Riju cheered ahead of them. "Eat my dust, Link!"

    Wait, she knew Link was dressed as a woman? Zelda's head snapped up, getting sand flipped into her eyes. Why didn't she kick Link out? Zelda didn't realize she was staring at him until his head turned towards her. He shrugged like he knew this.

    Zelda shook her head, clearing her mind of these thoughts as they surfed north. Before the hour was over, they reached the ice house. They had to circle around the ruins due to the amount of lizofas Link didn't have time to clear, but soon they were climbing down into the chilly space.

    Two Gerudo woman stood guard, then as they rounded the corner, six lined the walls. Poe was kneeling in the middle of the small room, ankles and wrists bound tight. His white hair hung into his eyes, covered in sand along with his beard. His overcoat was thrown in a corner, leaving a thin blue long-sleeve to cover his body. Poe looked disheveled, but he was still smiling. He lifted his gaze off the floor, meating Zelda's eyes. Her heart raced at the sight of Poe, even if he was tied up.

    "Hello again," he said calmly. He smirked. "I thought the Gerudo were worrior thieves, against the royal crown."

    "We changed our ways many centuries ago," Riju snapped. "We are allies, not foes."

    Poe cocked his head in thought. His evil gaze turned to Link. "Cross-dressing, I see."

    A few eyes turned to Link, questioning. He didn't move in a way that would confirm this assessment, but the suspicions would only grow.

    Zelda had to take the attention off Link, and fast. "How did you take all those people from their worlds and bring them to yours?" she asked.

    "Ah, a relevant question," Poe sighed. "I suppose it's the same way that thing creates portals." He nodded to Terrako, who stood next to Zelda.

    One of the guards pushed the tip of their spear into Poe's neck so fast, it looked like a blur. "Answer the question, or suffer the consequences."

    Poe laughed. He actually laughed. "Empty threats will do no good. You need me." He kept eye contact with the princess.

    Zelda forced her voice to be steady when she said, "We don't need you. It would only make it easier for us to save those you have tortured if we knew how you stole them away. Regardless, we are ending your evil. That building is coming down."

    Poe paused for a moment, corners of his mouth twitching. "That was a very lovely speech," he mocked. "However, princess" -he spat the word- "you'll learn that pretty words will get you nowhere."

    Then, in the blink of an eye - quite literally in the blink of an eye - Poe was gone.