Chapter 24

'Where do I begin?'

You took a deep breath, "Remember the day you asked me about my face?"

"Yeah, Ah remember."

"Well..." you said as you pull your hood down, removing your bandage, and turning to Engie. Engie looks in shock and disgust as he sees the scar on your nose and a brand mark on your left cheek.

"How... Did it happen?" he asked.

"It's the day that my parents died when I'm only four. I can't remember exactly what happened. My parents told me to hide, which I did hide. When the gunshot fired, I heard my mom scream in terror that I just can't sit there and do nothing, that I ran out of my hiding place and trying to wake them up." You can feel the tears swell up in your eyes, "those men, they ridiculed me. For some stupid reason, four-year-old me decided to try to fight them. They laughed, but one of them gave me a creep. He pinned me down, grabbed out his knife and gave me a scar." You point at the scar on your nose.

"However, he wasn't finished with me, that he had the big man to hold me down." You remembered the big man who aided the killers of your parents. "I tried to escape, but I was unable to. When he returns with a hot metal..." Suddenly you had a flashback of the man with a sinister smile as a four-year-old you cried, squirming, begging him to stop. He didn't listen and no one was there to help you. You can hear your younger self screaming and crying as the men laugh.

Suddenly you felt someone wrap their arms around you. You turn to see Pyro, hugging you tight. You shakily hug Pyro back, but then you notice that tears are streaming down your cheeks. 'Fantastic...'

You hesitate to turn your head to Engie. You don't want him to be worried or anything, but you're not done. This is just the beginning. You sniff, as you break the hug.

"Anyway..." you said, wiping the tears. "Before I met you guys, I met someone who took me in and taught me all these skills that I have now. Her personality is like Spy, but she's more distant and harsher than him. Sometimes she does something weird or just looks at me as if I remind her of someone. She's... hard to read at times. But mostly I often remember her criticizing me for the mistakes that I made... However, people in the group are nice and cool people to hang around."

"What happened to them?" he asked. You had the flashback of a teenage you standing there, all stunned as the building that you and the group were living in is burnt down and corpses lying around on the scene.

"They died..."

"Y/N, Ah don't know what to say..."

"It's fine... it's what it is..." you said, staring at the ground. "After all... I'm weak, I can't do shit right. Soldier is right, it is my fault that the Red Team lost..."

Suddenly you felt Engie hugging you along with Pyro. "Don't you ever say that about yourself."

'Engie...'

You wrap your arms around him, trying so hard not to cry. However, there is a sense of comfort and warmth that you never thought of experiencing. It feels... nice. You let the tears flow down, crying your eyes out and clinging onto Engie. Engie holds you tight and Pyro cock his head like a confused puppy but shrugs it off and joins in a group hug. There was a moment of silence, it was nice to have some peace and quiet. You don't want this moment to end. Pyro feels a bit tired that he get up and head to his room.

"Y/N, Ah know you and Scout don't get along. But try to get along with him and apologize to him."

You broke the hug, and stared at Engie, "me apologize to Scout? Hell no, he started that shit since I arrived here. He's being nothing but being a little shit He should be the one apologizing, not me!" You turn your head away crossing your arms.

"Y/N, Ah'm not askin' you. Ah'm tellin' you. Spah and Ah will make sure that both of you will apologize," he said firmly.

You sigh, "I'll try..."

He patted you by the shoulder, "just don't let him get into you. He likes to provoke his teammates."

"How can you be sure about that?"

"Ah've seen him provokin' Spah many times. Trust me, Spah didn't tolerate his bullshit."

You stared at Engie in shock, "Engie, I know you killed a bunch of blu along with your sentries, but I didn't expect that swear word coming out from your mouth."

Engie chuckled, "that's somethin' the folks don't expect from the Texan." Engie gets up and heads out.

"Hey Engie," you hollered.

Engie stopped dead in his tracks and turned his head to your direction, "yes Y/N?"

"Thank you for listening to my venting, also you won't tell this to anyone right?"

"You don't have to worry about that. This stays between you and me."

You smile, "thank you Engie. Have a good night."

"You too, partner."

You lay on the bed, staring at the ceiling, as Engie's words played in your head for you to get along with Scout.

'How can I get along with someone who reminds me of someone that I despise?'