Chapter 30

It was Halloween night, every mercenary in the red team showed up (wearing a costume) to enjoy themselves for tonight. 

You have chosen what costume you want to wear for tonight. You put on your costume and head to the living room to meet up with the others. 

"Hey Y/N nice costume! What are you supposed to be?" Scout asked.

"Isn't it obvious? I'm (insert character/ name of the costume)."

Scout smiles, "nice!" 

Miss Pauling arrives with a role-playing game called Gargoyles And Gravel. You, Scout, Heavy and Soldier are playing with Miss Pauling. 

At first you're not sure how to play the game, but you eventually pick it up as the game goes on, however Soldier keep getting you and the party killed because he want to pick up that stupid amulet on the pedestal and all of you have to start over. 

 Now you and the party are in the room full of goblins. Miss Pauling is narrating the game and told Soldier that his character can recognize their speech as the Goblin Tongue. 

"Goblins? I pick up-" 

"I wind up Sasha. I enter zis room. I destroy the goblins." 

"Woah Heavy!" You said, "don't you want to talk to the party before you go kill-" 

"No. I enter room and kill goblins with Sasha," Heavy said. 

You raised your hands up in defense, "okay, you do you" 

"You got it," Miss Pauling said as she reached her arm out to place the dice in front of Heavy, "just roll to hit and…" 

"Miss Pauling. You have seen me in zis exact situation worse than goblins. You do not need these dice. You have my word. I will kill these goblins." 

"Damn Heavy…" you muttered. 

"You… um… kill the goblins."

"Yes," Heavy said proudly. 

'This is the weirdest game I've ever played…' You thought to yourself. 

"In the center of the room is an amulet on the pedestal." 

"Ah shit…" you muttered as you placed your hands on your forehead. 

"Soldier, that looks very VERY DEADLY. Soldier, so you don't want to-"

"I PICK UP THE AMULET!" Soldier said, causing Scout to groan while you facepalm so hard. 

"Aw c'mon dumdum! This is the third time we've hadta restart this stupid-," Before Scout could finish the sentence, Miss Pauling raised her eyebrow at Scout, causing him to say lovely game which you facepalm again. 

"I will not be cowed by jewelry! That amulet belongs around my neck! Miss Pauling, I pick up the amulet." 

"Miss Pauling, I will try to prevent Soldier from taking the amulet!" You intervened. 

"WHAT!? You can't stop me from taking the jewelry!" 

Miss Pauling rolls the dice, "Thief failed to stop Soldier from taking the amulet and the amulet kills all of you." 

"Are you fucking kidding me?" You whined while Scout is frustrated with Soldier. 

"Stop pickin' up the frickin' amulet!" 

"We might be pretending we're in fairy land m'lady, but we are still playing in America! You can stop me from getting killed by that amulet when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!" Soldier argued before lunging at Scout and choking him. 

Suddenly there was a knock on the door for all of you to stop what you're doing and look at the door. 

"Is it I! Merasmus!"

"Merasmus?" You and Miss Pauling said at the same time. 

"My old roommate. He's a wizard," Soldier explained, "every Halloween he stops by and gives us a spooky surprise!" 

"I didn't mean the game was stupid Miss Pauling. I'm having a great time," Scout said despite being in a choke hold. 

"Hey Scout," you whispered to him, "I can smell bullshit from here and you know it." 

"He gives you surprises?" Miss Pauling commented, "Aw, that's nice of-" 

"Every Halloween, he comes here and tries to kill us," Heavy said. 

"What did you guys do to piss the wizard off?" You asked. 

"Why did you let him in?" Miss Pauling asked. 

'Aww, Miss Pauling and I are asking a lot of questions. How sweet it's like we're both on the same boat.' 

"He's a wizard, Miss Pauling!" 

Scout coughs before speaking up, "Yeah, he knows magic and crap." 

"Wait… he knows a different type of shit?" You questioned with a concerned look. 

"Fools! It is I! Meras-Murray… with your pizza," Merasmus said, before anyone could answer your question. 

"Oh good, Merasmurray's here!" Soldier exclaimed. 

You facepalm, "you gotta be joking…" 

"Soldier, that's still Merasmus," she said, sounding unamused. 

"NOO!! Must fight… his powerful magic!" 

"Oh my god… my brain cells are going to die tonight," you muttered. You watch the scene of nonsense between Soldier and this Merasmus guy talking to each other until Soldier lifts the mail slot. 

"FOOLS! It is I! Merasmus! And tonight you will-" 

Before Merasmus could finish his sentence, Soldier closed the mail slot and turn his head to everyone's direction.

"Everyone! Brace yourselves! It was Merasmus! There is no pizza! Repeat no pizza!" 

You slam your head against the table, "I'm going to die tonight, if this stupidity doesn't end! And the fact that we're not getting any pizza tonight! I was looking forward to having (insert favorite pizza)."

Spy was already at the door talking to Merasmus, while Miss Pauling, Heavy, Soldier, Scout and you are trying to get back to the game. 

"Where were we?" She said then she remembers, "oh right, Soldier. You do not want to-" 

"Leave my amulet sitting where anyone could take it, I know. I pick up the amulet." 

You clench your fist, "I am sooo done…" you grumbled. 

"I can stand no more of this," Heavy said as he left his chair, staring out of the window. "I do not want to sit at tiny table and pretend I am killing monsters. There are REAL monsters outside. We have killed them before." 

"Well, except me," you muttered to yourself. 

"We will kill them again. Who is with me?" Heavy said, turning to the team. 

One by one every mercenary is in. Until they turn their head to your direction. 

"I guess I can't say no to this," you answered. 

Everyone got out of the building, locked and loaded, accepting the challenge and Merasmus is relief.