Chapter 17: The Not So Peaceful City

Hey everyone, back with another chapter and a quick announcement. Soooo, I'm a big fat liar, I said I wasn't adding any more waifus but I've now got more that I want to include. I started watching Date A Live recently and I got hooked so now I want to use it in this story. At this point, I won't even bother saying I won't be including any more waifus because I'm not even sure anymore. I've included intended waifus in another waifu list chapter which will also include ones I announced a couple of chapters ago; make sure to check that out if you haven't already. Anyway, now that that's out of the way, enjoy.

"Come on, damn it!"

Once again I'm trying as hard as I can to summon more magic into this little ball of light. What I can conjure is still only a little bit bigger than a golf ball. Geez after four days of magic training I'm still not getting very far. Oh yeah, this is my fourth day on Falia. Magic and swordsmanship training has continued on a daily basis, in addition, Azazel recommended direct strength training since with my level of strength, swordsmanship will only do so much. I was able to push my strength to the fullest and determine that I do, in fact, possess Spidey's full strength which for reference means I can lift up to 10 tons. Pretty freaking awesome, I wonder how much my strength is going to change as my level goes up. I remember Hestia saying that my strength will continue to increase regardless, I wonder how much though. Who knows, maybe it'll plateau; maybe I'll eventually be strong enough to overpower the Hulk. Now that's an epic thought.

So yeah, I feel like strength training has definitely helped as well. Swordsmanship is going well too, although once Kiba and the others stopped holding back, I was once again reminded that I'm a beginner. I can't even begin to match their talent, it's frustrating but they do say I'm getting better. That's what they say at least. The same can't be said about my magic; over the past couple of days, my magic growth has diminished significantly. It seems like no matter how hard I push myself I can't seem to draw out more magic. It still feels like something inside of me is keeping me from gathering more magic. At this point, I don't know if something actually is restricting my magic use or if this is just the limit of my magic usage. I really hope that's not the case.

I grit my teeth trying to generate more but it won't come out. "Rrrgh!" I grunt trying to squeeze more, my hands tremble as I struggle.

I struggle and struggle and struggle but still no more. The light disappears as I finally let it go and sink into the Occult Research Club couch. With a sigh, I tilt my head back and stare at the ceiling. I've been alone in the old school building all day mainly working on magic. As good as it's been to spend time with the ORC I have been in dire need of some alone time. Of course, now that I have that I wish they'd show up soon so I at least have someone to talk to. "You really should take it easy. You're using magic not trying to move a car."

Well, that didn't take long, Rias has arrived and is now standing behind me and looking down at me with her ever-present smile. "Personally, I find moving a car way easier than this," I say.

Rias giggles, "I guess for a man of your strength it would be easier. It takes more than strength to summon magic though."

"Clearly..." I mutter.

Rias places her soft hands gently on my shoulders, "You've been working really hard to strengthen your magic these past few days, not to mention your constant fighting with Kiba, Xenovia, and Irina. I'm proud of what you've accomplished."

Her praise makes me smile a little bit, "Thank you, Rias. I'm glad I'm not wasting your time at least. I'd feel horrible if I spent all this time getting in your guys' way."

"Nonsense, Y/N, you've been a joy to have around," she says sweetly, "I think it's fair to say everyone's week has been a lot better since you've been here."