Chapter 21: Turning Point

It's evening now and I'm just getting back to the Gremory family home. I hit a wall on the ride back and now I'm exhausted. I just want to grab some dinner and go to bed. I step into the house and stretch as I walk into the kitchen.  Koneko is the only one in there and she's munching on a chocolate bar. "Did I miss the entertainment?" I ask.

"Yeah, we left you some dinner though," Koneko says gesturing to a plate of food on the counter.

"Thanks a bunch, Koneko," I reply.

Koneko nods and takes another bite of her treat before speaking up again, "Looks like they put the hurt on you."

Yeah, they did bruise me up pretty good, and by they I mostly mean Daidoji, she wasn't kidding when she said shinobi training was unforgiving. "Well you know they say, no pain no gain."

"Word," Koneko says giving me the smallest hint of a smile.

I start eating my dinner which consists of pork loin and roasted vegetables and HOLY CRAP do they have this down. "You guys knocked it out of the park again," I say.

"It was mostly Rias and Asia, they're always looking for ways to make meals better."

"Those two never cease to amaze. I wish my family cared as much as Rias cares for you guys..."

Koneko gets a look of concern in her eyes. "Were they really that bad?"

"They weren't abusive or anything. It's just they never bothered to get to know or understand me. The way they looked at me...it was like I was some stranger living in their house. Imagine looking at your son...your own son...like an outsider...Sorry for my rambling, I seriously doubt my upbringing was worse than anything you guys went through before meeting Rias."

"Don't be," she says lightly tugging my sleeve, "don't go comparing your suffering to others'. If your parents didn't care about you that much then you have every right to be upset. No one should ever turn their backs on family, they can suck it..."

Just like that, Koneko has helped me feel better. However, I can sense some pretty clear sadness in her. She was talking about family, she must be thinking about her sister Kuroka. Considering what she currently knows about her sister's actions, I don't blame her for feeling abandoned. Of course, I can't say anything about it yet considering they don't even know that I know Kuroka exists so I just do what anyone would in this situation, "you OK, Koneko?"

"It's nothing," she says shaking her head.

"You sure?"

"I'm fine really," she says with a small grin.

"Well, thanks for hearing me out, Koneko. And...don't ever feel like you can't talk to me about stuff. I'd be happy to listen if something's bothering you," I tell her.

Koneko looks at me a bit surprised and then her cheeks go a little pink, "sure, and thanks Y/N," she says. With one last bite, she finishes her snack, "I'm going to bed, goodnight, Y/N," she says leaving the room.

"Goodnight, Koneko," I say.

Koneko and I have hardly spoken since I met everyone so it feels nice to have this kind of conversation with her, plus I got her to blush...

"Oh, Y/N, When did you get back?"

I look up to find Asia standing in the doorway. Instead of her school uniform, she's wearing a light green nightgown. "Just a few minutes ago. Thanks for leaving me dinner, this pork is legit," I say.

"I'm so glad you like it," says Asia, "so how did your training go?"

"Pretty smoothly all things considered. They sure don't pull their punches," I say rubbing a bruised spot on my arm.