Bait

Very long chapter ahead.

TW: Someone will die and there will be blood.

-*-*-*-*-

Chapter 18

"You didn't have to defend me back there." Blaze spoke up when everyone left the meeting room, leaving him and Fang alone.

"Please. I was just trying to stop you guys from turning the meeting into a warzone." Fang rolled his eyes as he took one of the tablets, scrolling through the plans they had came up with.

He glared sharply at him before looking away.

"I don't like the plan."

His friend froze, "What?"

"I don't want to be a part of this mission." Blaze repeated through gritted teeth, which only made the other scowl deeper.

"We need everyone to work together on this." Fang reasoned, obviously trying to keep his own temper in check, "We need to apprehend two strong elementals who would stop at nothing to get what they want! And all of us against them is the only way! And I know how difficult it is to fight your own brother, but it shouldn't be a reason for you to run away-"

"I'M NOT!" Blaze exploded and slammed a fist against one of the controls, causing the screen of Reverse Gempa and Thorn to appear.

His eyes widened once he caught sight of the two before forcing himself to look away, "This was my fault. I caused this."

"I thought we've already established this." Fang spoke up, his tone firm but gentle, "The past is in the past. Mistakes have already been made and there's nothing we can do but correct them."

"If I go with you guys. I'll end up messing it up again. I always mess everything up." Blaze let out a shaky breath, "Even Gempa said so."

A hand on his shoulder made him look at his friend, who in turn gave him a small shrug, "I saw the regret on Gempa's face. He never meant that. He only said those words because he had let his anger cloud his judgement. I know he doesn't believe that."

"And how would you know exactly?!" He challenged.

Fang huffed in amusement, "Because I have a brother too, idiot."

.

.

.

.

.

The moment of terror almost made Blaze succumb into a frozen state of deep fear and anxiety, unable to move as he watched his own worst nightmare unfold before him.

But seeing Thorn cry in fear recounting his fight against his own brother was enough to snap him out of that state.

Thorn needed him right now.

His brothers and friends needed him.

And he knew he was the key to getting out of this Reverse situation whether he liked it or not.

And even though every fiber of his being wanted to scream and cry, he sent Gempa a quick message of the situation.

Even though he wanted to just run away from all this- he gathered Thorn (who was inconsolable) in his arms and told him how nothing was his fault and he did a good job protecting the Rhadamians against their rampaging brother.

"Please, take us back."

His voice sounded stilted. Unnaturally calm. Despite the rage of emotions he would not dare to unbottle- afraid that he'll explode into a mess no one needed at the moment.