Breakout

Chapter 24

Blaze took a deep breath.

He looked around his shared room with Ice cautiously. He was pretending to be asleep when his brother had woken up and left surprisingly early.

He was pretty sure he wasn't part of the MudBot mission this time though.

So, it probably meant Gempa needed something from him before they leave (since Gempa is the only one capable of ordering Ice to wake up at a forsaken hour).

Blaze then shouldered the duffel bag he had packed and hidden under his bed and stuffed some pillows underneath his blanket. Trying to make it look like it was him still sleeping.

This would buy him some time.

Once he was sure it was an acceptable decoy, he quickly made his way to the door and headed for the corridors.

Trying to get to his destination-

"-wonder if Api's awake."

Abort mission! ABORT!

Api looked around before spotting the mop closet and throwing his bag inside it. And just as he did so, Taufan pops out from the other end of the hallway.

He, of course, immediately caught sight of him, and waved excitedly.

"Api! Just the man I'm looking for!" Taufan said cheerfully before freezing and tilting his head in confusion.

"You're... in your mission outfit?" Blaze stiffened as he continued to eye him suspiciously, "Don't tell me you're... planning to sneak in the spaceship so you could join that mission!"

He tried not to sag in relief as Taufan laughed, "Seriously? Just let it go, Api!"

"I still think they should've let me go instead of the nerd." He couldn't help but grumble only for Taufan to swing an arm over his shoulders.

"Better luck next time, bro. And as much as I would love to help you sneak in, I believe the spaceship already left not too long ago. Try waking up earlier next time, huh?"

"I'll keep that in mind." Blaze chuckled uneasily. He really needed to leave. Maybe he could-

"Anyway, since you're already all dressed up-why not join me for some training?" His brother suggested, eyes wide and hopeful.

"I was planning to go get some breakfast- I'll go catch up after!"

"Breakfast isn't til' an hour or two." Taufan frowned, he could possibly sense something was amiss, "And you know we shouldn't be training after eating! It'll give us indigestion! Or worse- appendicitis!"

"You do know that's not true, right?" Blaze scowled impatiently, as he reluctantly followed Taufan towards the training grounds, "It's just a myth!"

"Look who's doing his research,"

"The nerd wouldn't stop lecturing me about it last time I said that!" He defended which earned another laugh from the other.

"Speaking of..." Taufan said in a careful tone, "Have you made up with Cahaya?"

"Of course I have!" He rolled his eyes, "I'm not that mean. I know when I have to own up to my mistakes too, you know."

He really did feel bad for exploding on Cahaya like that. Especially when he realized how much he had done to help him get better. Meanwhile he had been snippy and short-tempered every time Cahaya was just trying to help him.

He was surprised that the light-manipulator didn't laser-shoot him for being difficult.

"That's good to hear. It's bad enough that we already have Tanah and Petir at each other's throats, we don't need two more brothers fighting." Taufan gave him a wry look which he returned with a confused one.