Blame

Chapter 26

It felt like every timeline Blaze got into just kept getting worse and worse.

"-didn't even call for the others! What kind of irresponsible-"

To think when you get exposed by continuous pain, you'd learn to numb yourself from it.

"Everything was happening too fast! I'm sorry, I-"

But no. It doesn't work like that.

"You couldn't even keep an eye on him! I warned you, didn't I?!"

It'll continue to hurt and burn into excruciating levels that'll make you scream, thrash, and lash out to the nearest thing...

"First the slough monsters, then I suddenly got a message about a brother of mine involved in a breakout and destroying the headquarters-"

... reflect the hurt that was given to you...

"Guys! Adudu and Probe got Mudbot! I'm sorry! I was busy trying to take care of Solar I didn't-"

...and then... and only then- do you become numb from it all.

"I'll call Halilintar to-" Fang was cut off by Gempa's harsh tone and Blaze was mildly aware of the strong grip on his shoulder.

"And where do you think you're going?!"

It was their fault. They caused this. They're the reason he couldn't save his brothers and friends.

"I'm going to go after them."

His ears were ringing and everything around him was muffled.

He couldn't focus on the unrestrained anger Gempa was directing at him and Ice's sudden indifference. Nor could he find it in him to worry about the tired and tense looks of his friends, and the unconscious Solar on Thorn's back.

The only clear thing to him was the burning rage coiling in his guts and the need to beat a certain box head alien into a pulp.

It was the easiest way to numb the pain of failure.

"You've done enough, Blaze!" Gempa pulled him harder, back to where they gathered by their spaceship, "We're going back and you're going to have to face the consequences of your actions!"

No! He had to go after them!

"They tricked me! They started all of this! They have to pay-"

"Blaze- I said ENOUGH!"

The harsh yell was enough to snap him back from that rage-filled haze and he looked back at Gempa.

"Do you have any idea what you did?!" His brother tugged his arm once more, "You had put people in danger! You got a power sphere stolen! You indirectly sabotaged our mission because of your recklessness!"

And he was back to that sickening feeling of déjà vu.

"I didn't meant to!" He snapped back, trying to push down the ball of emotions that was making his throat go tight, "I was... I didn't think-"

"That's the problem! You never think!" Gempa snapped, "You always act without thinking and everyone around you always have to pick up the mess you make! This time you've gone too far!"

The familiar words effectively shut his mouth as he looked at his brother like he had slapped him all over again.

"How can you be so careless and irresponsible!?"

"I-" Blaze was tongue-tied, realizing what was about to happen and yet unable to stop it.

"From now on, you'll be under probation." Gempa firmly said, his glare unwavering, "You'll never join in any missions until I say so."