Chapter 34 - The bounty

Elektra's pov:

After my meeting with Alexander and his mate I decided to lock myself in my room. I didn't want to eat or talk to anyone. My heart ached at the thought of Alexander kissing and hugging another woman. When I saw them together something broke inside me. I just couldn't take it anymore. If I stayed there a little longer I would attack that girl. I can't explain why I have this strange feeling that Alexander belongs to me when he clearly belongs to another woman. Something in me could not be on good terms with it.

The night passed with me tossing and turning in my bed unable to find peace and quiet. Seeing Alexander with another woman managed to irritate me and make me feel nervous. A war reigned within me. On the one hand I was thinking what would happen if I said yes to Alexander. Now it would be me by his side and not this girl. On the other hand, I could not do such a thing. I knew my conscience wouldn't allow me even though I knew I was madly in love with him.

The next morning found me still awake. I stood up and after doing my daily routine and getting dressed, I went down to the pack restaurant to find David and the others and have breakfast.

When I entered the pack restaurant, I scanned the area and found David sitting in a corner with the rest of my pack members. As I made my way to our table, I noticed several hostile looks in my direction. It was obvious that most of the pack members were prejudiced against us because of my father's actions. I ignored them all and sat beside David. He had already ordered for me my favorite breakfast: coffee and pancakes with chocolate syrup! I took a small sip from my coffee and dived into my pancakes which I devoured them immediately. They were absolutely delicious!

I was drinking my coffee and talking with the others when Alexander and his group entered the restaurant. Alexander walked in front while the others followed behind. The girl was right next to him. The sight made me lose my appetite. They were holding hands like they were teenagers! I stood up abruptly and after waiting for them to take their seats I left the restaurant.

I turned into my wolf form and headed to the forest. I had to let Frostie out and calm down myself. The whole situation was very difficult for me to handle...... I wandered around the forest for about two hours managing to calm down my nerves. I returned to my room and after I took a quick bath I got dressed in my black suit and headed for the meeting room.

When I arrived, the majority of the Alphas had already arrived and some of them were gathered in small groups. I found my seat and sat down. I wasn't in the mood to talk, but even if I was, I doubt there would be anyone willing to talk to me. I scanned the area and found Alexander talking with Orestes and another man unknown to me.

After several minutes of boredom the Council members finally arrived making all the alphas immediately take their seats and soon the room was quiet. The older one, a short man with gray hair and sparkling green eyes began to speak:

-"Alphas, first of all I would like to thank you for coming at such short notice. The current situation is very difficult and there is no room for complacency. Three fugitives managed to escape from the Council prison: three very dangerous convicts. Among them is Bartholomew former Alpha of the Black Shadow Pack. We fear that he might want to avenge his suitors. That is why we gathered here to find a solution to our problem. We must all be vigilant. There is no room for mistakes or omissions. Patrol teams have already been set up to monitor various points of significant interest. But we are few and the searching are is vast. That's why we want your help. We want each pack to lend us ten warriors and two scouts. In that way we will be able to cover more of the searching area".

-"You know that this is impossible. Even if we give you those warriors I doubt if you will be able to find him. We don't even know where to look for start....." the Alpha of the Crescent Moon pack said.

-"Fair enough!" the Council member said and continued "What do you suggest instead?" looking at him with wonder.

-"I suggest we enforce our borders with more guards and patrols and be more vigilant. I don't think there's anything else we can do at the moment..." the Alpha replied sincerely making many Alphas agree with him.

-"Do you understand how dangerous the situation we are facing is? One of the most powerful and dangerous wolves is out there threatening our lives and especially our peace! Don't you see how much is at stake?" the Council member pointed.

-"Of course I see that Counselor, but what you are asking us for, requires money and resources. And most of us don't have that luxury." the Crescent Moon pack contradicted.

-"Alphas" Alexander intervened as he stood up. "With all due respect, we miss the most significant thing"

-"And what might that be?" the Counselor wondered.

-"Bartholomew has many allies in many packs. It is possible that many of his allies are in this room today" he said looking at all of us.

-"This is absurd!" the Winter Woods Alpha protested angrily "How dare you imply such a thing?"

-"Why did you get angry?" Alexander asked him calmly.

-"You dare to ask me? Really now? What did you expect when you accuse us of collaborating with the enemy? Remain calm and accept your claims just like that?'' the Winter Woods Alpha objected.

-"I didn't blame you personally. I'm just stating the obvious. We all know that Bartholomew had allies in almost every pack. It's no secret!" Alexander reasoned.

Hearing all this about my father made me feel awful. Although I couldn't take it anymore, I knew I had no choice. I had to play along. I had to act like I was with them and that I believed them. I knew my father wasn't as bad as they said and I believed him when he said he was a trapped.

-"If this is true, whatever we do is doomed. Bartholomew will always find a way to escape with the help of his allies. Whatever we plan is a lost cause..." the Alpha of the Winter Woods said defeated.

-"Exactly" Alexander confirmed and after he made a few steps around the table he continued "That's why we have to put a price on his head. Great bounty! That way everyone will prefer to get the bounty instead of helping Bartholomew. If we all give our share, a great sum will be raised."

-"Actually this isn't a bad idea. Not a bad idea at all....." the Counselor said looking satisfied.

-"That's why Alexander is a real leader! He looks a lot like his father! He certainly deserves to be our next king!" an old Alpha shouted aloud beside me. Everyone cheered in unison showing their approval of his comment, everyone but me.

I couldn't help but feel disgusted at the idea. It was my father we were talking about after all!! I knew that the bounty would lead only to one thing: to my father's arrest or even worse death! How can I love a man who framed my father and banished him from everywhere? And now he puts a price on his head? Why is Alexander so obsessed with him? What did my father do to him? As far as I know Alexander's father was the one who hurt us not mine.

-"Please note the amount you are willing to pay," advised the Counselor. Every Alpha followed his advice. An omega gathered up every paper and gave them all to the Counselor, who, after doing a quick tally, told us the sum that had been collected."

-"Alphas, the amount collected corresponds to ten billion dollars!" said the Counselor satisfied.

An exclamation of surprise was heard in the hall and everyone started clapping. I clapped too although I was feeling desperate. Now my father doesn't have any chance to get away with it. He is totally doomed! I have to see and warn him about it as soon as possible!